Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Airbox Explosion

buddah

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 97vt.
when i first had the gas installed $2050.00 if backfired like buggery.
So I took the car to untratune and they suggested new plugs (with a gap of 0.9) and new leads,
to this day the car has not backfired.
I have since added a pod filter

McBiggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S Gen3
I recently had massive inlet backfire problems, which exploded my airbox, and generally scared the crap out of me every time it happened. (It even happened once as I was passing a cop with a laser on the side of the road. I bet it scared the bejeezus out of him too, but he didn't come after me.)

It used to happen whenever I booted it hard or was straining the engine up a hill or similar. Recently it was happening at any old time. It got to the point where I refused to run on gas.

After reading this thread, and a couple of others, I replaced my plugs and lead, and have not had the problem again since. (Touch wood!)

Highly recommend changing plugs and/or leads as the first port of call to solve this problem.

Thanks guys!

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
I am a forklift mechanic and predomantly work on lpg fuelled engines. LPG's ignition temperture is at a higher value, so therefore it requires a stronger spark, so leads, and plugs have a shorter service life. Get it tuned by a gas professional workshop, they will measure emissions/hydrocarbons at exhaust and adjust gas mixture/ sensitiveity correctly, this will cure backfiring. The air box explodes due to unburnt gas in the combustion chamber being ignited, it then travels, back through the inlet valves,throttle body, (preventing the venturi of new gas to fire, hence running rough as starving) to air box, it struggles to travel through dense air filter so blows top section/side of air box.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Even though all the threads have talked about ways to modify the box, no ones really discussed why after so many kilometres your car should finally decide to blow the air box apart. I would hazard a guess that when they performed the 100,000klm service a plug change was due? Am I correct? So my guess is that they possibly used the wrong plugs for gas or when they removed the plug leads to change the plugs the mechanic accidently damaged one of the leads to the point where it creates a short in the ignition side. My advise if you were bringing the car to me would be to remove the plugs again and check both the correct heat range and gap. As well as put on some new genuine leads as well. I would leave the original airbox alone as it has performed its job for so long now why change it!!!

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
we have a ford ute thats dual fuel and this does it every now and then funny as hell espeacially when there are laods of kids around the school cos it makes that loud a bang the ute shakes lol and the airbbox on it is still smashed but works fine so stuff it IT'S A FORD