Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon Compressor Variable Displacement

OZTRAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 2006 AND 2008
Am troubleshooting VE 2006 aircon fault ATM. I have my own aircon charge tools and gas, I use HYCHILL MINUS 30.
You can purchase HYCHILL from BURSONS auto, no aircon license needed,(south australia you may need a license)
Disposable cans 500 gms were around $30, commodore charge is 580 gms. I buy a full 5 KG gas bottle for $250 which will do about a dozen or more recharge and tons of top ups if needed.
Over the years have serviced my own and a lot of friends cars, including a PRIUS my wife owned, which uses a 200 VOLT HVAC compressor and special(expensive oil).
Would advise anyone who fixes their own cars to learn to service their own aircon, you can eliminate the basic causes of common aircon faults which may need a few charges to find small leaks and after compressor/evaporator replacement. At some stage all cars will need its evaporator (behind dash) to be removed for cleaning.

Back to the VE, I had a leaking high pressure line service port, gas would leak out over 2 weeks or so, removed the lines from compressor and in the vice replaced the HP service fitting, this i had to buy from a commercial aircon shop, they are known as HIGH FLOW service ports, about $20.
So far so good, remember this aircon had been operating good except for the leak.
Refitted lines and charged system up, for those who are familar with this, i charge 2 mins of liquid thru low port with engine off as my initial charge. This eliminates buying expensive electronic scales for charge. I also have an old school charging cylinder which I use for small charges, eg camping fridge.

Start up car, turn aircon on and gauges didnt move from 100 psi high and low, immediately thought compressor clutch but upon some reading realised this model doesnt use a clutch, its a Variable Displacement compressor. Hyd pumps also use this design to offload pump during low load, am familar with these.
variable-displacement-ac-compressor.jpg

they look like this which isnt the exact unit in the VE. You can tell if a compressor is VD if it has electrical connection towards the back of compressor on the side. eg into the body..
So found this thread from another forum which appears to be the factory training info for trained Holden mechanics.

https://www.carmodder.com/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=13637&sid=dc2ce70f3e222c2354dd19fc17cfdb37

Very interesting read, the connector to compressor is digital PWM signal, not sure of voltage yet, but applying 12 volts to this would be pointless, unlike the usual electric clutch arrangement.

I can hear compressor ticking over and working but not producing pressure differential., checked fuses etc no joy.
I then remembered when i first charged this car up 2 months ago, had same problem but it only lasted a min or so then i saw normal HIGH and LOW pressures on gauge,
Like 180-200 psi high and 35 psi low.

It could be a dud compressor control valve or maybe the expansion valve. But am leaning towards the control valve. Had compressor off for timing chain replacement and its a big job to remove. Was thinking of putting a scope on the compressor connector to measure voltage and pulse. Even getting to this connector is difficult.

Has anybody here replaced an expansion valve before ? is it able to be removed from under the bonnet ?
And if anyone has troubleshooted the compressor control valve function.

OZ

OZTRAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 2006 AND 2008
OK found a couple of youtube vids on testing/replacing compressor control valve.

OZTRAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 2006 AND 2008

this guy is the best diagnosis tech around

was going to order control valve till i saw this:

So regardless that control valve is a PWM signal, 12 VDC will actuate compressor at least for a few secs and check gauges for change in pressure.

OZTRAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 2006 AND 2008
from another thread

Attachments

• Variable_Displacement_Compressors_Electronic_Control_Type (1) (1).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 77

Bapo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi Mate,
Your issue also could be a stuck piston in the compressor, if the control valve doesn't fix your problem.
Same issues your describing happened to my wife's 08 SS i opened up the compressor found 1 piston stuck from what looked like alloy corrosion, this didn't allow the swash plate to ramp the pistons up from the idle position.
I clean up the pistons and bores with 400 grit scotch bright, reassembled the compressor coating with a little oil using the same steel shims between the two housings.
Fitted everything up doing all the normal things and away it went.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Lex

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Good old hychill, nothing gets your seals harder.
Then you just sell the car, then the next owner takes it in for an A/C service and the idiots that use auto machines will get a contaminated bottle in the auto machine.

This is why people need to leave A/C to experts.

It's licensed for a reason.
You might be able to fix the issue, but again adding hychill into a system just makes headaches for the next guy.

Also if you get an evap leak, you better not want to be a smoker, all hychill is, is LPG gas, I'm not sure if they even put the sent in it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
HiChill is famously frowned upon on the forum thanks to one former member that must have just about sniffed the stuff on a daily basis.

However this is an excellent thread because there is so little about AC and especially the compressors on the forum. Keep posting even if not many join the discussion. These sort of threads can still be helpful.