Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon Condenser

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Hey guys,

I took my car in to get the air con re-gassed the other day and I was told I need a new condenser and receiver drier. They were going to charge me a little over $500 so I looked into the issue and found I can get the parts cheap and it looks easy enough to do. So I figured that i can install the new condenser and drier then go and get it re-gassed.

However, Someone just mentioned to me that I need to fill it with PAG Oil. What is the go with this? Is there anything else I am going to need to know?

Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You'll also need to replace the special "O" rings and then find someone who will regas it for you plus it is very easy to stuff up the couplings on the condenser which are aluminium and very soft and often corroded....many shops will not regas it as they are not sure of the job you have done. However, you can always ask before you go ahead.
But for a little over $500 I'd get them to do it as there are too many things to go wrong....and that's coming from a tight-ass.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ah ok then, well I just called a mate who is an apprentice mechanic to see if he could do it as from what you have said it seems like something I should leave to a pro. He said they do them all the time and is willing to come round my place one weekend and give me a hand fitting the parts. So I guess I have nothing to really worry about. I had a look and a new condenser with a drier is $150 from ebay and I got previously quoted $120 for a re-gas and leak check. Thanks for your input anyway hako, really appreciate it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Just remember to warn your mate that the attachment to the condenser can be very 'dicky'.....it's an aluminium bolted joint and if during assembly, some of the PAG oil gets on the threads it attracts moisture and can form a solid joint which is virtually impossible to undo. Stuff the joint and you then need a new line from the compressor to the condenser. Also be warned that some if not all aircon places will not guarantee a regas if the system has been played with by 'amatuers' (that means you and me). However good luck with it ........much better to do things yourself especially if you have someone to help.