Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

aircon service

ned

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ss
how often should ya aircon in a vt to be serviced and how much and any 1 know wat they do to it in a service

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
I recently had mine re-gassed; I was told by the bloke realistically, depending on the state of the air-con compressor, a re-gas should last you 12 months.

So realistically, if there are 3-4 months of need for air-con use, the re-gas should last you 3-4 years. So I was told. Sounds realistic to me. Cost me $120 for the re-gas and an additional $100 to replace the TX valve (??? i think that's what it's called).

A new compressor could cost you up to $300 (depending on whether you get a new or refurbished unit). Hope that helps.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Unless you can get the recharge and do it yourself, its cheaper to get the shop to di it in the winter time, and ultratune soemtimes do em for free with the service packages.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Getting aircon "serviced" is basically a waste of money if it is still working fine. If it has still got gas in it, the moving parts are in the compressor and will be fine if the system stays charged. The gas doesnt have to leak out, but as stated a recharge after 4-5 years is not uncommon in a system with no apparent leaks. One can be lucky and not need a recharge in the life of the vehicle.
It can of course be checked at service time to see that it has a full charge of gas, but this shouldnt count as a service and should only take ~10-15mins labor. Cleaning of the exit holes to the evaporator box and perhaps a squirt of deodoriser/air disinfectant is all that really should need to be done.

It may be cheaper and convenient to get it recharged in the winter time, however, it makes it very very difficult to actually test that the system is working properly in the conditions it needs to if the ambient is only 5C and the system only partially cycles on for seconds at a time etc.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
well Melbourne is rarely 5 degrees in the winter time. A mechanic said to me the recharge keeps it lubricated as well and avoids corrosion etc......

garywg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
As said before if it's not getting cold it really doesn't need servicing, A good rule of thumb is to run it for 15 minutes every week as that circulates the gas through the whole system and keeps all the seals fron drying out and perishing.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
well Melbourne is rarely 5 degrees in the winter time. A mechanic said to me the recharge keeps it lubricated as well and avoids corrosion etc......

Some mechanics dont know much or are trying to create work!

Sorry you missed the point vx calais, even testing at 15C is incredibly difficult too.

How does one simulate exterior temps of 30+ (to test whether condensor efficiency is good, can block off air flow under the bonnet......but how much is guess work) one can turn the heater on in the cabin to get it warm.....but this is all a bit tricky when there are electronics in newer cars that will stop the ac working as hard when you do that etc.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
I am told by people 'in the trade' that the A/C should be run at least once a week for a few minutes to keep the seals wet and lubricated and to prevent slow leeks.
On some of these new imported cars, the A/C switches on automatically every time the car is driven in reverse, just to ensure the internals are regularly lubricated.

Pablo

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I am told by people 'in the trade' that the A/C should be run at least once a week for a few minutes to keep the seals wet and lubricated and to prevent slow leeks.
On some of these new imported cars, the A/C switches on automatically every time the car is driven in reverse, just to ensure the internals are regularly lubricated.

Pablo

THis is mentioned in your handbook or Gregories as well.