Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Airconditioner gas

Redvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs ute v6
Can anyone tell me if the gas in the 95 vs is the old type gas or the newer safer gas? I'm fearing its the old stuff and ill be up for 800 bucks to re gas.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I think they got rid of that in the early 90s. And i;m pretty sure they can fill it with the newer stuff now, r22 I think its called, Or R134a.

Not too sure at moment, use to sell the gasses a few years ago but can't really remember what was being used at the time.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It'll be r134a.
r12 was phased out in the VR series.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Its an r134a system for sure, and you could gas it with hydrocarbon too (aka hychill)

I think its not illegal in QLD anymore but they might want you to hold a licence. Might be a bit tough finding somebody willing to do it since QLD is the headquarters of VASA which is the industry body and they actively fight against hydrocarbon use (the reason its been banned previously)

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
As mentioned above you have an R134a system.
Hychill is just LPG.
And even if it were an R12 system, all that's likely to be needed for a retrofit would be 2 screw on fittings for the existing lines. No way should that cost $800.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Hychill is just LPG.
And even if it were an R12 system, all that's likely to be needed for a retrofit would be 2 screw on fittings for the existing lines. No way should that cost $800.

Hychill is a much better filtered mixture of Isobutane and propane in a specific ratio dependent on what system it is for.
LPG is a random mixture of butane & propane, depending on the season to what they put in it.

There is about a 10°C difference between the boiling point of isobutane and butane.
LPG can also contain moisture/water and other impurities so there's a fairly big difference.
r134a dumped into an r12 system will work but won't be as efficient as it would be if it was retro fitted with the correct condenser and drier.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
Ok, should have worded that better, at its core as far as individual components go, Hychill and LPG are basically the same

Redvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs ute v6
Thanks again all.
I found a licenced guy to have a look and tell me the go for free and a refill for $100 bucks and a carton if he runs Into a leak. He seems certain that its the newer gas. The other thing I found out was the engine was taken out when it was rebuilt so he would not be surprised if it was degassed and just never filled again. Either way, getting It done for thre parts of f$&k all. Just didn't want to pay someone 100 bucks to tell me it was gonna cost 800.