Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Alan Mance Over Fill Oil

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
just talk to them first about the issues and see what they want to do, dont go in all guns blazing as u do want them to fix the issue they may have caused and pissing them off will not help, at this point it could be unrelated until testing is done no one knows
This makes sense, I’ll let everyone know how I go tomorrow afternoon

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
what do you mean by out clause for their screw ups? Are you saying if I drove the car there, they can say it’s my fault because I drove the bloody thing?
If subsequent damage occurs because the vehicle was driven, the dealer may try and wriggle out of fixing the subsequent damage… They probably won’t be successful from an ACL perspective but such issues can add more crap to the shite sandwich.

I’m not saying that’s what will occur in this case. And honestly, it’s hard to imaging how an extra 1/2 litre of oil will cause such issues. But I’d want to talk to the service manager and describe the issue and get their take on whether driving the car is ok or not. Just talk to the service manager and describe the issue and ask him whether you can safely drive the car. Take note of all the call details, who you spoke to, their job title, date and time you spoke to them and notes on what was said by both sides. It’s a just in case, as such can help if you have issues later on.

As @07GTS says, don’t go in guns blazing as that can make things worse… Just be polite, and state your concerns in a respectful way.

A decent dealer would listen and consider the issue. If the car shouldn't be driven, a good dealer will tow the car to their workshop if it looks like it’s their error. A good dealer will offer a loan car while yours is being looked at. Unfortunately not all dealers are good dealers.

Don’t get too carried away about what if’s. Just call then and talk to them… Keep it simple as you don’t really want to tell them more than needed to get their error fixed. If you’ve driven some kms since the service, obviously you’d tell them that when you drove all sounded ok and as soon as things misbehaved (I think you said loss of power if I’m not mistaken) you checked the oil at home and found it to be too high on the dipstick.. And you haven’t driven it since as you wanted to talk to them first. Just structure the conversation in a way that presents the truth but in a light that shines better on what has occurred so as to protects yourself (but remember whatever you say, be consistent)…

Again, as 07GTS says, don’t go in guns blazing as you need to keep them onside until they look at what’s has actually occured and whether the excess oil is also behind the other issue…
I’m not a student, I’m entirely unemployed, money spent is money I won’t see for at least a month. And it’s running out, I really wish the dealership would just do the right bloody thing…
I was the student when a dealer inflicted the poor recall work on my car :p Student or unemployed is in essence the same, little cashflow to deal with unexpected crap that some dealers inflict on our cars

I hope you sort it out in your favour as I expect will be the case.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
I have great news, holden called me at 10:30am, said to bring the car in free of charge and he insisted it is safe to drive. I got there and they drained the oil and filled it to the correct amount (It is still a little above full but this time like 3-5mm instead of 16mm).

The service dude said that the engine light was because the oil level sensor had picked up that there was too much oil in the engine, the car does drive a lot better how ever it still has a little loss of power that I cannot explain that well. She'll pull really hard and then suddenly loses some torque for about a second then comes good again. when I asked about this issue prior to them working on the car he said the extra oil could have caused the engine to struggle a little with the extra oil pressure...

I am happy with the result though for now, when I come into some more money I may take the car to some of my mates trusted mechanics and get her properly looked at.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
… She'll pull really hard and then suddenly loses some torque for about a second then comes good again…
Sure you’re not just loosing traction for a bit :p:p:p

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Sure you’re not just loosing traction for a bit :p:p:p
now that I think about it, they did change my spark plugs... I wonder if something is loose or perhaps something along the ignition side of things needs a change... I mean **** I have dropped $2500 I might as well get leads and coils done

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No no. Don’t go down rabbit holes of what ifs. It’s dark down there and there’s scary things.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
No no. Don’t go down rabbit holes of what ifs. It’s dark down there and there’s scary things.
Hahaha, good point. I have a bad habit of trying to fix everything I see and touch. I will hold back temptations haha

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Welp, I was driving the car today just casually and the engine has come back on haha. I have a friend who has one of those obdII readers and I’m gonna get him to see what the code says but not clear it and then take it to Holden and see if they talk ****.

thoughts?