Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec engine removal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hi guys, my 3.6l v6 ve engine needs to be replaced and it is my first time removing an alloytec. some people say to just disconnect motor from trans and lift out, other people say to just drop motor and trans together and wheel out, and other people say that the alloytec is an asshole of an engine to remove. anyone have experience removing these engines and most stress free ways to do so? lol

Shorty COMSTIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.0 sedan 2010
I have a 3.0L - needed to be replaced.
Mechanic put it up on a 4-post hoist - only one available within 500km -
lowered the motor, and lifted new one in.
I wasn't there for the process.
I don't recall the transmission being mentioned.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Don’t forget the front is detachable to make these procedures easier (incidentally). It assist the installation of the motor during assembly.

Remove the front, wheel it out.

Shorty COMSTIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.0 sedan 2010
I'm pretty sure that I was told that mine would be lowered out, after removing a cross-member,
but I wasn't there to observe it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Go to 11:10. That will give you an idea of how it goes together. There’s a few ways the job can be done and each will depend on skills, experience and or available equipment.

You could hoist it out like with traditional methods, but when the whole front unbolts, that can make things quite easy and stress free.

I’d be unbolting the whole k frame, lifting the body a little to clear the strut towers and out it comes.

You could hoist just the engine out but remove the front to allow lots of clearance and make things easier on you.