Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec hard to start after sitting for awhile

lukusdesmus

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
My Vz berlina cranks over 5 to 6 times before starting if it have been sitting for an hour or more, if i shut off the car and start it again theres no problem! its as tho the fuel pressure is depleting back to the tank. i have had the fuel pump and filter replaced less than 10k ago and changed the plugs. ive tryed all diffrent types of fuels also. trying to get an adaptor for my fuel pressure gauge to see if it is holding pressure. anyone come across this? im thinking leaking injector or faulty fuel pressure reg ( ruled out fuel pump return ballbearing valve as it was replaced not long ago)

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
How many KMs has the car done? Could possibly be the Spark Plugs if they haven't been replaced within the advised range... Doesn't make the most sense seeing as it starts fine after only short periods of time, but it's the first thing I thought of!

lukusdesmus

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
its done 145,000kms, as stated above they were replaced and doesnt fit with it starting fine after intial start up. im almost certain it has to be fuel related because it starts perfect the second time round. its as like the fuel pressure in the rail is slowly depleting. sounds the same as when you replace your fuel filter it has to regain the pressure again. i cant seem to find the fitment for my fuel pressure gauge to check tho

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
VZ, like many others, has auto-start: quick flip of key and release will start the engine in all conditions. If it does not start like this, a problem does exist. It could be the starter motor, injector relay or fuel pump (which would be making a whining sound). A fuel pump will also have an unstable delivery to the engine, causing odd starting/restarting behaviour, hesitation, puttering and stalling at low (idle) RPM — maybe this is where you should start sleuthing before moving to the engine.

BigD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6, VH Vacationer
Hello
Just wondering if you have fixed your problem.
Im having the same problem with my SV6 at the moment.....
Cheers :)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
fuel pressure regulator is in the tank its fedd from that tee piece that comes off the filter inlet, try turning the ignition off and on a couple of times and see if the problem is reduced

Durbz

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro
G'day mate, can you tell me if you discovered the fault with your car? I have the same problem.

Regard
Durbz

BigD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6, VH Vacationer
A very late reply, I know....very...

But, I have changed the fuel filter, recently had my injectors cleaned and new filers and o-rings for them, and the problem still exists.
I'm almost curtain it has to be something to do the the fuel sender unit in the tank. It seem to me that it's loosing fuel, or leaking fuel into the cylinders, but since the injectors are all ok it can't be.
I'm stumped, Ill probably remove the tank and check the sender unit.
Oh and my cars done 85000ks.

Rytan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
I know this thread is really old but andyman I'm having the same issue and it is reduced if I cycle the ignition, is that fuel pressure regulator you are talking about part of the fuel pump/fuel sender assy?

Bazzajd1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Corroding VT
These Fuel Pumps have a check valve in them, there is no bleed back to the tank after turning off the engine via the pump. The check valve in the Pump is failing. To test this, got to your fuel filter after pressurizing the system (Just turn key to the on position for 30secs or less) then OFF - go to under rear to Fuel Filter and release a line, it should squirt out, not DRIP. No squirt means you have a fault with your New or Old Fuel Pump Check Valve. ......To Check Fuel regulator try take off the vacuum hose on the Regulator, turn ignition to on (Do not start) if it leaks fuel out of your regulator via the Vacuum port, the diaphragm on the Reg has perforated, time for a new one. Only way to Check Fuel regulator pressure valve levels at the engine end is with a fuel pressure gauge. Hope this Helps.

Last edited: