Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec into vt

Allstahr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec
Add a straight pipe for the rear and brumm brumm lol

Milesvtcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Yes an alloytec will fit into a VT commodore but you have to charge kframe.fuel lines .interior and all wiring
I know this because my vt commodore has a vz motor in it
Hey mate, just wondering if we could organize to message via Facebook or something along those lines about your alloytec swap? I just want a few pointers as I'm looking at doing this in the near future

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Would it not be a case of getting a wrecked VZ and swapping dash, wiring, engine and running gear over?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Apart from the interest factor, I can't understand the thinking behind such a swap. While the Ecotec is a crude, tough old warrior with literally millions of proven reliable examples over many years, the Alloytec, particularly in its original VZ form, was an engine which has never really lived up to expectation, has proven reliability problems, poorly designed components (eg oil pressure sensor), lacked the low down torque of the Ecotec and needed to be revved hard for its best torque figures. It was complex, although all modern engines are now, and didn't really do anything better than its predecessor. Its not an engine I would want or waste time on fitting to an earlier model, bit that's just my opinion. I had the 3.2 version in a Captiva and its performance was very disappointing, because the Captiva was really too heavy and its fuel consumption was awful. I was lucky that it didn't have the timing chain issue but the oil sender and TPS both carked it before 150k.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
does it has to to be engineered

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
To try to answer your originsl question - dont know, but I do know a bloke who wanted to put an Ecotec into a VE. Why?
It had a stuffed chain but was otherise 100% ok. Nice car. Less than 100,000 k's, and the repair bill was more than it was worth.
Ecotec sounded like a good idea, except it wasn't legal.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I could be wrong but with the demise of Holden, I reckon the Alloytec will see many VZ to VF cars go to their graveyard much earlier than older models have done. The cars' values will drop so rapidly that many people won't bother with repairing timing chains or other mechanical problems. VZ's are already dirt cheap and many get parted out by owners because the motor is stuffed. Early VE's likewise, even though the car is otherwise in sound condition.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I don't think you are far wrong there. The majority will just decide to trade their VZ > VF on something other brand with zero guilt.
Two expensive and unlikely alternatives. Find a competent engine builder to repair the Alloytec, or transplant a Barra.
Probably neither would be worth it in the long term