Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alot has changed.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I find the really noticeable difference between the two motors to be in gear acceleration. On a stock set up with the same diff, there's only so much traction you have to play with for a launch - but the torque through the rev range in a V8 is streets ahead.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
zzz zzz zzz zzz!
Why did you buy it if you didn't think it was worth it, and don't tell me you brought it without test driving it?

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
That V8 sound was good enough for me lol

m05tw4nt3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV WAGON
zzz zzz zzz zzz!
Why did you buy it if you didn't think it was worth it, and don't tell me you brought it without test driving it?

I never said it wasn't worth it, that's not what I'm getting at at all. Just saying power while its not all that impressive and feels heavily restrained. I love the car the features and that its a v8, I am just trying to say its not leaps or bounds ahead of the v6

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The V8s are quicker than they feel, the smoothness and quietness are quite deceiving.

jaffassv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Started with a v6, now on 3rd V8 no way would I go back. So much better in every way. Just the sound is worth it lol

Last edited:

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Hi guys been a while and a few things have happened.
I sold my 08 sv6, and purchased a my10 ssv atomic wagon. And don't get me wrong I love the car.
However when doing anything to a v6 people used to say just buy a v8 and so on. I'm going to tell all the v6 owners apart from the ego boost. With all the traction control and so on its not that much of step up. Yeh its faster but not greatly and Yeh just my opinion but I don't know if I'd do it again...
Just a heads up to v6 owners.

Are you serious? I've owned several of both and I can tell you, any version of the alloytec doesn't go near any LSx engined VZ or VE (LS1, LS2, LS3, L76 or L98) for power, smoothness or ease to modify.
Was your SV6 a manual by any chance, maybe that's what the difference is, you had a bit more control of the power/engine?