Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternative sump options for Series 1, 3.8 V6

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
Hi Folks just freshening up a motor for my club car. Sumps had a hard life looks like someones done a floorjack lift on it. Question as I can't find a replacement, remember its a series 1 what if any other Commodore sumps fit? I realise dipstick placement varies.
Are there any affordable aftermarket sump replacements available? Cheers Malc

Attachments

• 20210911_164540.jpg
    20210911_164540.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 134

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
From some reading i was doing the other day on an american site and there sumps are interchangeable 86 88 ln3 or series 1 as we know it thu to 2004 vy ecotech but pick up changes from a gasket to an o ring in the l27 series 2 not sure if the pick ups will work
That sump doesnt look that bad should be able to belt it back out with a couple of blocks of wood flat end for the middle and rounded off for the corners
bit of soft dirt as a backing to act like a sand bag like the pros use to shape sheet metal

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Any of the steel sumps from VN to VR should fit. The alloy sump from the ecotec doesn't have a dipstick provision and the rear 2 bolts (around the rear main) are in an ever so slightly different location IIRC.

ASR do an aftermarket sump built to order. Not cheap but good quality and lots of optional extra's.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Where about in NZ are ya?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I do have a S1 sump here but I'm in Auckland and I'm not sure shipping it would be worth the cost.

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
I do have a S1 sump here but I'm in Auckland and I'm not sure shipping it would be worth the cost.
Hi Immortality That sounds great I would be interested in it if you want to discuss please email me at [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you cheers Malcolm

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
Hi Immortality Just checking in did you want to sell the S1 Sump that you have? Regards Malcolm

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi mate. I will, I'll need to go digging in the garage to go find it. Is it urgent?

LOL, fairly sure I've got a complete long block/engine hidden in there somewhere.

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
Hi mate. I will, I'll need to go digging in the garage to go find it. Is it urgent?

LOL, fairly sure I've got a complete long block/engine hidden in there somewhere.
Hi Immortality no that's fine hoping to have engine back in car around end of the month was just checking whilst it was fresh in my mind. Cheers Malcolm