Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternative transmission cooler location? VT2 4l60e LS1

Lele

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 SS LC9
This is my first post so if anything needs to be changed let me know.

So I have a built 4L60E to go in to my VT2 LS1 SS. It has a water to air intercooler for my HTV1900 and I still have factory aircon,radiator and PS loop. I would like to keep my a/c at all costs so not interested in “ripping out” my aircon. I’m no thermodynamics expert but I dare say another cooler out front will be counter productive? Correct me if I’m wrong please?

my question is; is there any common alternatives to mount the trans cooler? With or without factory radiator loop?

Pictures would be absolutely phenomenal

Had a scroll through search results relating to transmission coolers for 4L60E. Lots of threads about lines and what not.

TIA legends

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Any chance it is a ute and you can run the lines rearward, mount the cooler horizontally and put strong fans on top?
(note I have not looked under a.... Oh bugger it, they never made a VT ute.)
Just a thought. Note sure where would have space on your SEDAN

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just as a general comment, if you want good cooling solutions, look at what the factory has engineered. As such, a good place to start would be to look at any LSA engined VF, especially the 410KW 2017 models. As is, the LSA supercharger is water cooled so there must be a pump and a water/air radiator somewhere (the workshop manual is a pain to navigate and unclear in my quick scan).

In any case, Holden has made sure that their supercharged engine is well cooled if for nothing else at least for warranty reasons.

Forum LSA owners may be able to highlight where the various cooling systems radiators are located (for diff, gearbox, engine, superchanger and HVAC).

Lele

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 SS LC9
Any chance it is a ute and you can run the lines rearward, mount the cooler horizontally and put strong fans on top?
(note I have not looked under a.... Oh bugger it, they never made a VT ute.)
Just a thought. Note sure where would have space on your SEDAN

Yeah unfortunately not a Ute well at least it’s unfortunate in this case haha. Thanks anyway

Lele

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 SS LC9
Just as a general comment, if you want good cooling solutions, look at what the factory has engineered. As such, a good place to start would be to look at any LSA engined VF, especially the 410KW 2017 models. As is, the LSA supercharger is water cooled so there must be a pump and a water/air radiator somewhere (the workshop manual is a pain to navigate and unclear in my quick scan).

In any case, Holden has made sure that their supercharged engine is well cooled if for nothing else at least for warranty reasons.

Forum LSA owners may be able to highlight where the various cooling systems radiators are located (for diff, gearbox, engine, superchanger and HVAC).

Thanks for the reply, I’ll do some digging maybe can find something. Given such variations in VT to VE they might not translate so well. Your not wrong maybe they don’t have all the coolers out front anyway

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... Your not wrong maybe they don’t have all the coolers out front anyway
If I read the workshop manual correctly (well quickly scanned it actually) then the stuff is at the front of the vehicle in the following sequence; the engine radiator, aircon radiator, supercharger radiator and lastly oil cooler front most.

Packaging is always a compromise but I always liked the VW approach of two small intercoolers each side of the central radiator as they always got cool air... stacking radiators always means the poor radiator at the rear of the stack gets the hottest air (which seems conceptually wrong).

Good luck with it all :cool:

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
PWR do a nice front mount trans cooler.

I want one. Would disconnect the rad loop.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
PWR do a nice front mount trans cooler.

I want one. Would disconnect the rad loop.
The trans oil cooler line going through the radiator serves two purposes: (1) get the oil to temp quicker (2) keeps the oil at temp once it gets hot enough. Getting the oil to the operating temperature and keeping it at operating temperature serves to protect the gearbox. Too cold or too hot simply isn’t good for the gearbox.

Commodore special editions have trans oil line going trough the engine radiator and then the line goes through a temperature switch block (can’t remember what it’s called). This block switches the fluid either to the oil/air cooler if it’s over a certain temp or bypasses the oil/air radiator and sends the oil directly back to the transmission if the fluid is not too hot...

Aftermarket seem to not include such controlled switching of trans fluid based on temperature.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Don't care. Rad loop is evil when it fails.

Had one go before and fixing it is a major job.

I'll risk trans running cool.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't care. Rad loop is evil when it fails.

Had one go before and fixing it is a major job.

I'll risk trans running cool.
Yep. evil when it fails so keep your cooling system maintaned and such failures shouldn't occur :D However, I do wish the pipe gauge running through the radiator was a little more robust than the thin stuff companies tend to use these days :oops::rolleyes:

But hey, it's your car so do with it whatever you please :cool:

PS: In any case, the point was to highlight that the vehicle manufacturers have already done a lot of engineering work related to cooling, so it can be worth looking into such rather than spending time, effort and $$ reinventing the wheel.