Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator light comes on and off

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Hey all my alternator light has been coming on for maybe 30 seconds and then staying off for half an hour or so for a couple months now. The light comes on and before I can put my scanner on it it goes away. What could it be? It also started a couple weeks after I put a new battery in, could the being a different amperage be causing it, if so what should the battery amps be

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
First question that springs to mind is did you buy the correct battery for your vehicle? Seems strange you are talking about amperage and what not when it's easier all round if you just buy the correct battery to start with.

Having said that, make sure all battery connections are tight and nothing has come loose.
Then check all ground and positive connections under the bonnet and see if anything is loose.
After that you might have to play a waiting game and see if the alternator fails or get it tested if you don't feel lucky.
Good luck.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Check your charge cable on the back of the alt. I had the nut work loose once and stopped charging.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would suggest having the charge circuit checked.
The fact that you had to change the battery suggests there is something worth investigating there.

I’d suggest the problem was already there prior to the change and had got worse.

Roadside assist can do a check.

You can buy battery testers which also test the charge circuit. $50

You can also get the Century Bluetooth battery monitor which also does the same. $90-ish

If you have a VE, these are essential because as soon as a ow voltage condition occurs, so do the gremlins.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
First question that springs to mind is did you buy the correct battery for your vehicle? Seems strange you are talking about amperage and what not when it's easier all round if you just buy the correct battery to start with.

Having said that, make sure all battery connections are tight and nothing has come loose.
Then check all ground and positive connections under the bonnet and see if anything is loose.
After that you might have to play a waiting game and see if the alternator fails or get it tested if you don't feel lucky.
Good luck.
Thanks mate, yeah I went to the hardware store instead of autopro for the battery and didn’t think much about what they gave me, and chucked the old one before I could check numbers, definitely stupid mistake. Thank though I’ll look around and find out the correct battery size

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
I would suggest having the charge circuit checked.
The fact that you had to change the battery suggests there is something worth investigating there.

I’d suggest the problem was already there prior to the change and had got worse.

Roadside assist can do a check.

You can buy battery testers which also test the charge circuit. $50

You can also get the Century Bluetooth battery monitor which also does the same. $90-ish

If you have a VE, these are essential because as soon as a ow voltage condition occurs, so do the gremlins.
Thanks mate, I don’t think the alternator caused any issues to begin with the battery was just going on three years since I had the car, not including the previous owner. And what are the gremlins? I’ve heard but never looked into what they are, thank you

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute

Good luck.
Also, do you know the exact ground and positive connection locations? If not all good I’ll have a look around

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks mate, I don’t think the alternator caused any issues to begin with the battery was just going on three years since I had the car, not including the previous owner. And what are the gremlins? I’ve heard but never looked into what they are, thank you
What are they? All of them, that’s what.