Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator question

Michael vdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx equip S1
My wife calls me a few days ago while driving and tells me her car (2011 VE ) has gone into battery saver mode and was driving like crap so i tell her to pull ober and turn the car off and ce what happens , ten minutes latter she trys to start it and it wouldn't start so straight up i think battery is shoot, i go out and buy new battery go find her and change batterys, i jump in her car to make sure its all good but after driving for about 10minutes battery saver mode comed on again ,i get it home and put the multimeter on it and find the alternator is only putting out 11.2 volt so i buy a new alternator....and here's the question, the alternator i bought puts out 100 amps but the one i pulled out of the car is a 140 amp alternator, how much grief if any will i have putting the 100 amp alternator in her car ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Would have been better to check the old one and match it with a new one, but I think your 100 Amp alt will be ok. Was it ex cop car or running a mega doof doof stereo?

Michael vdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx equip S1
Would have been better to check the old one and match it with a new one, but I think your 100 Amp alt will be ok. Was it ex cop car or running a mega doof doof stereo?
No extras in or on it
Do ya reckon been the 210kw model would have anything to do with it

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
No extras in or on it

Do ya reckon been the 210kw model would have anything to do with it
Don't see why the 210kw V6 should draw that much more power than the others.
I'm no auto sparky just a guess it would work. Maybe try google it, try something like eBay and or Repco website and see if it lists a 100amp alt for your 210 model, SV6 or whatever you have.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
I've used a 100A alternator in past but it didn't last that long (albeit it was a reconditioned unit). However, I would definitely recommend using the correct current rated alternator in your car as that in deemed the most suitable by the engineers at the time.

Also important is the overrun pulley on the alternator. Make sure your alternator has this fitted.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I would install a recommend replacement of 140 amps, because there is a lot of electrics in the VE's
However, the Clutch pulley [ake: over run pulley] is not really required for the replacement ones,
a stock pulley will work ok.
More importantly, get one that will suit your car, as the Series 1 & Series 2's were a little bit different in the charging side of things I read.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Without the overrun pulley, I had my belt slip. I then installed a brand new genuine tensioner and belt, though the belt was still slipping.

Once I installed another alternator with the overrun pulley, no more belt slippage.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
those overrun pulleys are good as the alternator spins over 20,000 rpm if u take engine to redline and if u have turned it by hand u can feel the inertia they have so it is a strain on the belt system, once i fitted mine i actually notice when logging that decel tip in was richer with the belt now unloaded so it does make a difference

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Without the overrun pulley, I had my belt slip. I then installed a brand new genuine tensioner and belt, though the belt was still slipping.

Once I installed another alternator with the overrun pulley, no more belt slippage.

Not sure what is happen on your car for the belt to slip, maybe the belt needs to be replaced as its stretched.
But I have never had any complaints from customers of squealing belts, nor any returning customers with Alternator issues.

Last edited:

Michael vdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx equip S1
Thanks everyone for advice , I have finally tracked down a 140 amp alternator, it took awhile all the holden dealers i called told me they didn't go over 120 amp so i called a auto electrocution and he was able to piint me in the right direction