Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator - will it fit?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I had a VR where the sense wire had a dodgy terminal at the plug but you see the battery light on the dash when either that happens or the fuseable link fails.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My V6 L67 alternator is 40/100 amp. Not sure what the standard 85amp units were. I think the cop specials were quiet a bit gruntier than standard for the long idle periods.

I have a VT 120 amp on my VS but the sticker is gone so no idea what it's minimum output is.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
My V6 L67 alternator is 40/100 amp. Not sure what the standard 85amp units were. I think the cop specials were quiet a bit gruntier than standard for the long idle periods.

I have a VT 120 amp on my VS but the sticker is gone so no idea what it's minimum output is.
Been told there was a high output Mitsubishi alternator for both v6 and v8 for VN-VS. I know it’s definitely true for the v6’s - I’ve seen a few. Never seen the v8 version though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been told there was a high output Mitsubishi alternator for both v6 and v8 for VN-VS. I know it’s definitely true for the v6’s - I’ve seen a few. Never seen the v8 version though.
Would you know where to get one for early V6? As I understand it VS on use a different alt.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't know if there was ever a 100/120 amp alternator on the early V6 models. Our old VP BT1 had a standard 85amp unit. My bosch catalogue only shows high output alternator listings from VS onwards.

Sometimes you can use a 2 different alternators to make one fit the earlier model with high output bits inside.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't know if there was ever a 100/120 amp alternator on the early V6 models. Our old VP BT1 had a standard 85amp unit. My bosch catalogue only shows high output alternator listings from VS onwards.

Sometimes you can use a 2 different alternators to make one fit the earlier model with high output bits inside.

Yeah I haven't found an off the shelf hi output one anywhere. There was a autoelectrician who was remanufacturing Bosch 85s and turning them into 110s but he disappeared from eBay over a year ago.

D

Dean1985

Guys..
Can anyone confirm for me.

The power wire which goes to the main fusable link (bottom of the fuse box).. where does it come from? Straight from the battery?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm fairly sure it does but it ties into the main charge cable from the alternator to the battery. I believe it's crimped part way along.