Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alternator wiring

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
If you put a 3.8 commodore motor into a hilux with the standard commodore alternator what happens is that the hilux most likely is running more amperage electronics in the system of hilux more electronics mean you need a bigger alternator to run electronics while hilux is running otherwise you get battery drain, my VS commodore i upgraded to a bigger alternator for instance because i put in a more powerfull sound system and i put in dash cams state of the art ones that drain more amperage while vehicle is running and i also installed rear view cameras and have multiple accesories phones running from the socket, most standard alternators are only designed to run the basic standard factory accesories, so summing up your alternator may be charging okay but because you have more amperage what happens is it drains the battery because more load is needed and the only way it finds that is from battery , the alternator is fine and is working indeed but not putting enough amps out for the extra electronics .