Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Am I right in saying we cannot legally turbo the VF?

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Might be quicker and cheaper to buy an 430kw LSA replete with accessories as a crate motor from Holparts. Then you get a superior motor, strengthened, ready to go.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Not really. Series 1 trade would be $30k if I was lucky, LSA senators start at $70k used

$30k if you're VERY lucky, I traded a VFII Calais V wagon (LS3) on my brand new LSA Senator and only got $35k trade..

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
You cant beat the instant throttle response of forced induction. I drive around at 2 -3k , cams dont even work until 4k. Why bother...
Cams dont work untill 4k?? Maybe if you over compensated with a huge cam that might be the case..

For the 2 grand i spent on a cam and spring package i went from 298kw with the stock cam to 340kw (455whp) with a mild cam. Interestingly made more power and torque right across the graph which debunks the myth that cams only move the power up and down the rev range.. and will happily cruise at 1200rpm at 60kmph in 5th gear. The idle is fairly lumpy but we added some lump into the tune.. just coz

So from a cost point of view thats cheap power. But obviously if money isn't an issue boost is a no brainer. Twin turbo with a small cam would be my ultimate setup but then the simplicity of a supercharger is also appealing.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Makes sense, pollution & emissions laws are a pretty big bottleneck WRT power & torque these days!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
im a bit bored with my L77 calais, but love it’s looks, so initially thought of a head and cam package, but don’t want the rough idle, and big fuel for relatively minimal power gain (50kw)

Option 2would be a 2300 blower kit, which would retain stock idle and give me circa 100-120kw gain.

Is there a option 3 being turbo, or am I correct that I read somewhere it is illegal? A twin turbo L77 sounds cool (and stealth, with better economy than a blower)

Cheers

You fail on emissions the moment you touch the ecu so I'm not sure what difference a turbo will make. You are well past being a little bit pregnant so meh.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You fail on emissions the moment you touch the ecu so I'm not sure what difference a turbo will make.
What’s important is what the engineering signatory will approve; if they believe and certify that the state-authority’s emissions dyno test is sufficient, then your engineered car is legally registered.