Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Am I right in saying we cannot legally turbo the VF?

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
No, I have no mod plate at all. Walkinshaw claim that their gear meets ADR but what is "legal" varies from State to State. Once you cam etc unless you run E85 passing emissions would be extremely difficult imo.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Walkinshaw state that the W557 is ADR compliant ADR are National standards. But ADR compliant is not the same as legal with regard to what the different States rules are with regard to modification.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’ve often suspected that “ADR compliant” by mobs like this just mean it’d be possible to make the car comply ... just not necessarily with the kit/fitment as supplied. :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Do the 'Walkinshaw kits' use the factory cats?

VFSSVfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Cams dont work untill 4k?? Maybe if you over compensated with a huge cam that might be the case..

For the 2 grand i spent on a cam and spring package i went from 298kw with the stock cam to 340kw (455whp) with a mild cam. Interestingly made more power and torque right across the graph which debunks the myth that cams only move the power up and down the rev range.. and will happily cruise at 1200rpm at 60kmph in 5th gear. The idle is fairly lumpy but we added some lump into the tune.. just coz

So from a cost point of view thats cheap power. But obviously if money isn't an issue boost is a no brainer. Twin turbo with a small cam would be my ultimate setup but then the simplicity of a supercharger is also appealing.

VFSSVfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi Monty,I was impressed with your post & I would appreciate very much if you could share your cam specifications with me as I want to liven up my vf s ssv ls3 manual which has cai,headers & tune.It goes well but I would like that coming on the cam sporty feel.How was your fuel consumption affected?
Thank you very much for any info.

Last edited:

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
Hi Monty,I was impressed with your post & I would appreciate very much if you could share your cam specifications with me as I want to liven up my vf s ssv ls3 manual which has cai,headers & tune.It goes well but I would like that coming on the cam sporty feel.How was your fuel consumption affected?
Thank you very much for any info.

VFSSVfan, your best bet is to go and speak to John Lloyd at Street Quick Performance in Perth. Jump on his website and read up about the Project VFI and VFII. there is lots for you to learn there and appreciate they R&D they have put into the LS series of engines. 10.90 over the 1/4 mile with cam, converter and gears is VERY impressive. :)

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
VFSSVfan, your best bet is to go and speak to John Lloyd at Street Quick Performance in Perth. Jump on his website and read up about the Project VFI and VFII. there is lots for you to learn there and appreciate they R&D they have put into the LS series of engines. 10.90 over the 1/4 mile with cam, converter and gears is VERY impressive. :)

Great write up that. Just shows that bigger isn’t necessarily better.