Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"ambient Temperature" Sensor Location...?

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
OK, I give up...I've been hunting high and low all over the front and under the bonnet area of my damn VS Series 2 Berlina looking for the little sensor that takes the reading for "ambient temperature" as displayed on the Climate Control screen...my daughter and her boyfriend have also been wondering just where it is since they bought their VR Berlina about two years ago.

So does anyone want to put me out of my misery and tell me where the damn thing is hiding?????

Locksmiff

Reaction score
QUOTE (Wombat @ Jan 25 2004, 03:32 AM) So does anyone want to put me out of my misery and tell me where the damn thing is hiding?????   
Yeah, its in the dash in the plastic pieces that hold the tweeters. It's in the middle right up near the windscreen, its that green thing that looks like a light, but it isnt. I read its the sensor for the climate control.

B

brettkp

The sensor you refer to is the 'sun sensor' (shown in the gregory's manual). I guess this would be used to pump up the a/c if you're in direct sunlight as opposed to night.

The ambient sensor has to be outside for it to read the outside temp. That said, i have nfi where it is! (but would also like to know) I've heard people say they're in either the wing mirror, or the front wheel well, but i don't know for sure.

Brett

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Locky, thats the sun light sensor.

The ambenit temp sensor is located next to the condesor.
THe car temp sensor in the CC unit.
where the little grill is on the bottom

B

brettkp

curiousity got the better of my so i went and investigated (prior to the last post).

Maniac_vp is correct. See attached image...

Cheers
Brett

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Just a note on the sun sensor... Make sure if you fit a dash mat you cut a hole out for it else the A/c system thinks its cloady and does notallow the A/c to work correctly.

And you obviously found the ambiant sensor...just make sure its not damaged by rocks and that its secure.

Regards Guy.

B

brettkp

Does the amb temp sensor serve any other purpose than to tell you the outside temp? I remember that the intake air temp sensor is also used by the climate control system. Would this be effected (either good or bad) by a cold air kit?

Brett

Locksmiff

Reaction score
Just curious, now I know what I thought was the sensor isn't I am curious as to know, because of where the sensor is in the engine bay, will it read colder, when the car is moving forward and read hotter when the car is idling.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Thanks for putting me out of my misery guys....

That info about the "sunlight sensor" was interesting. I went straight out to the VS and had a look and sure enough, there was no hole in the dash carpet for it. After lifting up the carpet easily saw the round dark green glass sensor at the front edge of the dash between the demister vents, and cut a good sized hole to give it a "clear view", so to speak.

As for the ambient temperature sensor location, yeah, I was a bit surprised too to find it was right down there as well. You would think that yes, it would read hotter when sitting there idling, and also if you ride a motorbike you already know about the incredible amount of heat you can feel that rises up off the bitmumen road as you travel over it on a hot summers day...the air down that low would be a lot warmer than the "normal ambient temperature"...but guess they had to stick it somewhere...at least it's a fun toy to play with..."Look honey, it's a cool 18 degrees in here and it's 34 outside...look at that poor bastard in the old Datsun with all the windows down and hanging his head out the window like a big ole' dog trying to keep cool..."Buy a Commodore mate!"...

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Locky, i know what you mean.
I have played with this theory and found that i think its a passive sensor and only really updates every couple of minutes, therefore its hard to test.
Its pretty reliable, well compared to the Nylex factories temp sensors in the area