Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

American VY

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
whats the american version of the VY commodore?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you are asking about a GM 4 door, V6 or V8 RWD, 5 seater equivalent, I don't think there is.
Ask Skydrol.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Ahh thanks

i just figured theyre all GM cars and although we claim them as australian, the same versions are also driving around america just with different badges and grills etc, our holden factory was just using the same template as their factories

im interested to see what alternative parts we can get from the states on ebay, as i cant stand the vy executive grill, and the chevy grill aint too good either

im sure ive seen american listings of all kinds of parts that will fit our commodores

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The VE's Zeta was developed here as a worldwide platform and exported which is why you see VEs in the states and parts from overseas fit (like the G8 front). Every Commodore before that is a bastardised Opel (notably the Omega and Rekord) with a random engine, totally different suspension and are far from a template (i.e. they look extremely like various Opel models but nothing is interchangeable and no Opel had the same engine as a Commodore). The only international early Commodore you'll find that will be able to swap parts with is the Chevrolet Lumina, Vauxhall Monaro, and as above Pontiac GTO, as they're just a Holden exported from Australia with a Chev/Vauxhall/Pontiac badge.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I don't know about VY's but VT's at least were exported to South America as Chevrolets. I recall some pics on this forum a few years back from a Brazilian owner of his VT/Chev.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
i just figured theyre all GM cars and although we claim them as australian, the same versions are also driving around america just with different badges and grills etc, our holden factory was just using the same template as their factories

There is part of the problem for many Holden customers. Just because any Holden has a Holden lion on the front, it must be either
a. built somewhere down south, near Melbourne, somewhere, perhaps.
b. built in America, because they build good V8 big cars.
c. built in Germany, because they build good 4 cylinder cars, just like Mercedes Benz.
d. Holden don't sell Daewoos anymore, because all Korean cars are crap.
e. The last proper Holden was a Kingswood. All Commodores were secretly imported from Germany.

Popular myths, legends and bulldust.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Ahh thanks

Not !
Which is why it sux to not build them here anymore.

There's American versions because they were exported from here.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
cost of making them will reduce dramatically due to slave labour overseas but the price of the car will go up

luminaltz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 LTZ 3.8l
My 2004 VY 3.8L V6 Ecotec wagon is branded as a Chevrolet Lumina. But I bought it in the UAE.