Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

amp and alternator question

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
ok so ive searched around a bit and haven't found the answers, im probably gonna get smoked for this haha but can a stock alternator handle 2 amps with no problems?

ive just rounded up all my gear and I have a kenwood monoblock amp and a earthquake 4 channel amp, if I run 4ga from battery to boot to a distribution block do I then run 8ga to amps or can I use 4ga? never had 2 amps before so that's why I wanna pick someone elses brain haha any advice is definitely welcome!

cheers gents!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
You're fine buddy. Don't sweat it.

You can use either 4ga or 8ga from the distro block... unless its a monster mono block but then you probably need 2ga from the battery.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
if you worried about your battery going flat get a deep cycle battery. as said above.

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
i also run my monoblock of a 5 farad capacitor and my 4 channel of the battery just another way you can go but the new amps use less power then when they were sold by the meter

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
i also run my monoblock of a 5 farad capacitor and my 4 channel of the battery just another way you can go but the new amps use less power then when they were sold by the meter

I just got a headache trying to understand this sentence.

The mono amp still runs off the battery.

How are amps sold by the meter? Is a giant volt-meter selling amps now? Or did you mean amps are sold by the metre? $500/m or something?

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
cheers tasmaniak I don't think the mono is a monster ill get it out of the cupboard later on and upload specs n that

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
not worried about battery going flat hotrod just don't wanna **** an alternator that's all, ive never ran 2 amps before hence the questions haha

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac

I don't understand what your trying to say numeric?

either way cheers for the help fellas appreciate it! also if I just mount both amps onto the back of the seats in the boot sorta that should be fine yeah? hopfully that wasn't confusing lol

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Having more amps won't make the alternator crap itself. Sure it might wear out faster because of the higher constant draw. So might last 12 years instead of 15.

If you want too, Holden sell a Mistubishi 120amp alternator that is factory fitted to the Telstra and Police cars. Cheaper and better than the stock Bosch 100amp unit. And a direct fit.

Beauty boards on the back of the seats can make it look a lot better.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
No, that'll be fine. Just make sure there is clearance for wires and other things.