Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amplifiers, how many?

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
I was just wondering how many amplifiers of a significant power rating could be run off a standard car battery. I have no intention of putting in an extra battery to power the stereo, and I would like to have all of my speakers amplified. How many amplifiers can I install before I start to put too much drain on the system?

Thus far, I'm planning on having 6 inch splits in the front, 6 inch three-ways in the back and 2 x 12 inch subwoofers in the boot. I'm still considering something a bit more punchy in between the 6 inch three-ways and the subwoofers, but for now it's just those 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers.

Right now, I'm thinking of running a 2 x 4 channel amplifiers. One of them will power the 2 subwoofers, and the other will power all 4 speakers. Is this acceptable, or is there a better way to do it?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I'd use a single channel amp for the subs... They're called monoblocks and are designed to run subs. You need to know what impedence your subs are before choosing an amp though.

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Genesis said:
Thus far, I'm planning on having 6 inch splits in the front, 6 inch three-ways in the back and 2 x 12 inch subwoofers in the boot.

I run that exact combination in my vy, I have 2 amps, 1 for the 2 subs and another to power the front splits and 6" speakers in the back, I haven't had any battery problems yet but I haven't run the stereo for long with the engine off either.

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
I rarely run the stereo without the car running. I'm paranoid about the battery going flat, as one of the cars my mother owned had an electrical problem which caused the battery to drain very quickly.

Tell me more about these monoblocks, sounds interesting. I always thought that you needed a 2 channel amplifier to run a subwoofer.

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I run a pioneer monoblock amp GM-7100M i think it is that runs 2 pioneer 12" subs and they can get quite deafening :) not too sure how they work, all I know is mine work and sound extremely well :D

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
a monoblock is just an amp with one channel, and you run one or 2 subs off that. They are more efficient and have better features for using subs. Heaps better idea than using a 4ch, and probably cheaper too, for the same power

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
what do you mean 'something a bit more punchy in between the 6 inch three-ways and the subwoofers"?? More speakers, or better speakers? If you already have the subs, or know and are sure about which you are getting, tell us your budget and the subs, and someone will be able to reccomend something. Be very specific. eg model numbers

B

Bloodmoon

i run 1x us audio 660watt amp powering my door speakers n a 1000wat rockford powering my sub i can leave it running withthe subs on n lights on for at 40mins with the car stopped n the car is still able to start perfectially

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
You can run 2-3 powerful amps safely from your standard setup. You need two amps. a four channel and a monoblock for your subs.

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
I'm looking at running a pair of DD9500f's by Digital Designs.

I'm still not sure on the speakers yet. I was considering Boston Acoustics but I can't find what I really want on their website.