Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying Problem.

Torniquet

Reaction score
A few weeks ago i had a problem that my sub was cutting out every now and then, and only my speakers were working. it then disapeared and worked fine for a few weeks...

Until the other day, it started doing the opposite, the speakers were cutting out and the bass kept working? Its started doin it whilst hitting a bump or something but its now just to the point where its continuous.

Im running a amp for my sub, and running my speakers threw the head deck. any ideas as to what it could be? got me stumped! and my head deck is brand new!

holdenhero

Car idiot
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
In my daily driver I have a small problem sometimes with the DVD player, sometime it just doesn't get power at all (which isn't too bad as I'm running a head unit as well) and sometimes it does. It can change when I'm driving over speed humps and stuff and magically light up so I did a bit of investigating... It sounded like a connection issue to me but I soldier all of my joints so I knew that wasn't the problem. The first thing I did was check the plug in the back of the DVD unit. Luckily I found it, the yellow wire was broken. Not completely, it was still sitting inside the plug however it was broken off, and was only making occasional contact... I've been too lazy to fix it but its something you might want to have a look at.

Torniquet

Reaction score
thanks, ill check that out =)

ive pulled the head unit out already, i was gunna do a "wiggle test" later on in the day!

Torniquet

Reaction score
hmm..i just plugged the cd player back in without the sub connect. the speakers werent working at all..i wiggled the wires behind the head unit, still nothing. I then put my foot on the speaker thats in the drivers door and all the speakers started working again...

i think that speaker had come loose and part of the back was touching the door frame or something behind the trim. only question is tho would that stop all speakers from working?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey mate i'm no expert but it shouldnt, i have a similar problem and should be trying to fix it tomorrow (day off woo) so i'll let you know if i get anywhere with it

Mike S

Car Audio Pro
Reaction score
i think that speaker had come loose and part of the back was touching the door frame or something behind the trim. only question is tho would that stop all speakers from working?

Yes it can, most head units these days have that feature in that it will shut down the output IC if anything shorts out. Remount your speaker so the connector clears any metal and you'll be fine.