Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying Rattle in Vk

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
My Carby Vk has an annoying rattle, at first i thought it might be the dizzy gear about to go, i pulled that out, gear is fine, rattles about half to full acceleration, but on using the second barrel the rattle goes away, when cruising on little acceleration also no rattle. lol thoughts?

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
yeah it's definately coming from the engine, it sounds like a gear rattling noise, but only when engine is warm and accelerating or going up hills, nothing harsh, just really annoying, makes it sound like a heap

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
unleaded with additive, engine runs perfectly sweet, just that stupid thing, i thought it was the dizzy gear, but that was fine so i got a bit stumped

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I think i know what it is now :)

Your air pump :) take the belt off the air pump and see if it still does it. My Carbie VK used to do it sometimes. Nothing serious if you are really worried about it you can pull it appart and give it a lube.

cheers
Scott

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
the air pump is a great piece of engineering!...is pumps air into the exhaust manifold, utterly useless and robs power from the engine...arent ADR's great?

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
thats the thing on the carby side of the engine on top hey, yeah adr's are good, giving good cars yellow stickers and robbing power, thanks for that, i'll give it a try this arvo and let you know

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
yeah took the belt off of the compressor, rattle seems to have gone, however should i put it back on? due to cops, yellow stickers etc? as i'm a p plater the less attention the better, do you get any sort of economical gains with having it disconnected, what about having my air con belt off aswell?

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
if u leave the thing there but disconnected unless they hardcore want to defect you for driving like a looney you should be fine.