Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another harmonic balancer question

anthonylardo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Redline Wagon
I'm gearing up to do a balancer on my SS.
Ordered the ARP bolt and Powerbond balancer.
My question is, instead of removing the starter motor and locking the flywheel (I've got DiFilippo extractors, starter might be difficult to access), can I use either a chain/strap wrench or pulley holder wrench (not sure of the proper name, it's got like two arms that fit between the spokes) to hold the balancer for both removing and refitting the bolt? Has anyone done this?
Unfortunately I don't have access to an impact gun, so this is strictly a hand tools-only job for me.

And can someone once and for all confirm the required torque for the ARP bolt?

FalconF16

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Commodore Sportwagon
235 ft-lbs.
Jump on the ARP website,select the right bolt,then click on 'Kit Instructions'.It will open up a PDF file,and the torque setting will be in there.

anthonylardo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Redline Wagon
That wrench looks like something I'm after. I'll check it out.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
I went off a different torque setting guide when doing mine a few weeks ago so I guess I better torque it up another 100 ft lbs LOL..
Also these ARP bolts reusable right?
Torque.PNG

@anthonylardo Get a small block of wood that fits inside and hit it with a lump hammer to get it in far enough for the bolt to grab! Don't hit the outer side of the puller it will damage it!!!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ARP is a stronger bolt so needs more torque and yep can use it as many times as u need

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
[QUOTE="Jackv8, post: 3233421, member: 97853"@anthonylardo Get a small block of wood that fits inside and hit it with a lump hammer to get it in far enough for the bolt to grab! Don't hit the outer side of the puller it will damage it!!!
Not a good idea to hit the pulley at all as it shocks the bearings.

ZXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sportwagon
Probably get in trouble for this but i just did it up as tight as i could by hand then gave it some with the impact wrench till it was lined up to where the old balancer was. It slowly pulled that extra bit on and just a bit at time.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
With getting it to 235 Ft Lbs There arnt many torque wrench’s that go up to that setting I think mine goes up to 200nm max