Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another one. Exhausted

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Might not be the right thread but didn’t think it deserved a new thread.

I was really impressed with the exhaust on my SS except that it was quiet. What I loved was the crackle/pops especially on the overrun. Got a Walky catback (dpe 2.5”) based on sound and reviews but while the sound is deeper, I’m somewhat devastated that all the crackle/pops are completely gone. Ironically the exhaust is a lot more muffled, despite being deeper and louder, the character is gone. I thought for sure the crackle/pops would be caused by the tune or header, not the cat back but clearly It’s both.

Anyone know of any cat backs that retain the crackle/pop?
I have a full 3 inch difilippo system with 1 7/8 difilippo headers.. it still has a crack on deceleration but it now sounds more like a deep clap of thunder compared to the snappy crackle the stock system had. Remember the vf2 ss has the bailey tips on the stock mufflers which adds a bit of sound into the cabin.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Might not be the right thread but didn’t think it deserved a new thread.

I was really impressed with the exhaust on my SS except that it was quiet. What I loved was the crackle/pops especially on the overrun. Got a Walky catback (dpe 2.5”) based on sound and reviews but while the sound is deeper, I’m somewhat devastated that all the crackle/pops are completely gone. Ironically the exhaust is a lot more muffled, despite being deeper and louder, the character is gone. I thought for sure the crackle/pops would be caused by the tune or header, not the cat back but clearly It’s both.

Anyone know of any cat backs that retain the crackle/pop?
I'v added VF2 Baillie tip mufflers to my 6.0L VF Redline and it crackles and pops very nicely on deceleration.
I also added HSV 340 cat back / centre (2.5") to my Motorsport. It is far louder from idle to redline than stock. I retained the Baillie tips on it and it crackles and pops better than stock too.
Your solution? Put the Baillie tip mufflers back on!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'v added VF2 Baillie tip mufflers to my 6.0L VF Redline and it crackles and pops very nicely on deceleration.

So these are constantly in the open position ?

How is the volume difference between them and the stock mufflers ?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
So these are constantly in the open position ?

How is the volume difference between them and the stock mufflers ?
Yes Mate, always open. They are far louder than with the stock AFM mufflers. It's a loud system. I.e full 2.5" hi flow cats etc, with no mufflers at all, until the rears. Yet, put the AFM mufflers on and it's quiet time. Add the VF2 rear mufflers and it sounds good. For a time I had Gen-F2 rear mufflers on. It was louder than with the Baillie tip rears. But didn't sound as deep strangely.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you run the VFII baillie tips with stock centre section ?
No, but I think they would be a nice upgrade to the stock VF 6.0L system. Similar sound to a VF2 stocker I'd expect.

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Just fitted a '17 Maloo 2.5" centre section to my '17 Redline ute. Easy cheap upgrade for a slight increase in sound. Zero performance increase in my opinion with stock headers and cats. Going the HSV tri's or 1 3/4 genie tri's HFC's, CAI and tune shortly. Centre section should compliment those mods.