Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another use for Air Conditioners?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Water injection also helps stop detonation and increases combustion pressure.

it does indeed. as the water absorbs the heat from the intake charge it turns to steam and you have a cooler intake charge plus a steam cleaned engine. its a wonder that no car manufacturers have it installed as standard as it does actually clean the engine and improve engine life, then again, if they did less people would by new cars.........

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
thats one expensive way to improve performance.

Cost of fuel, cost of regassing the aircon twice in summer, remember that to cool that air almost instantly you would need be pumping a shizzle load of air con gas throughout the system.

why not use canisters of compressed CO2 gas, just make sure its not running INTO the engine, that would probably stall it. :p

oh and as stated above, the power loss from the aircon system would be a real kick in the nuts.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Dumb Question...

How would the water injection work?

Does it inject into the engine?

Sorry, but this is the first i've heard of using water injection to cool a NA engines air...

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
you spray a fine mist of water into your intake.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i cant remember exactly, but i think its every 10deg cooler u get like 1kw.. could end up getting 5-8kw's from it, but dont know how much the compressor uses in terms of kw to drive it..

I think it would be worth it if you where running a turbo setup, possibly shave off that extra .2 or so from time runs.. *shrug*

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore,VP 5.0 calais, 2x59 FC,
basic water injection consists of a nozzle, pump and tank, with boosted car it runs of a switch that is operated by manifold pressure, in a n/a car it might be something like throttle position.
There are always plenty of kits in US, search www.ebay.com not ebay.com.au and you should find some, more expensive kits give a variable amount of water as it is needed but they are expensive.
you proably wont get much advantage in a n/a car, they help ruduce temps of the heated compressed air in a boosted car.
I know in the 50's water injection was a accessory available for the holden grey motor, it claimed to increase power, economy and decarbon the chambers.
yella terra make a kit with no pump, I think it sprays in the water the way a spray gun would work.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
thats one expensive way to improve performance.

Cost of fuel, cost of regassing the aircon twice in summer, remember that to cool that air almost instantly you would need be pumping a shizzle load of air con gas throughout the system.

why not use canisters of compressed CO2 gas, just make sure its not running INTO the engine, that would probably stall it. :p

oh and as stated above, the power loss from the aircon system would be a real kick in the nuts.

ok

A: An airconditioner does not use gas and you do not have to re gas the aircon so long as the seals are all good and there is no moisture in the system.

B: a 5kg C02 fire extinguisher will only last for 7 seconds and at around $120+ that makes expensive cooling especially since you cant spray c02 into your intake as the engine wouldnt fire (who knows what other damage it could cause) so you would have to spray the intake somwhere and it will not cool it sfa.

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
stick with your cai unless ur motor is boosted

ozman599

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supermarine
i beleive this has been tried before and the power lost to run the A/C pump is greater then the power gained from the cooler intake charge. maybe try the water injection as suggested but mix it 50:50 water/methanol....... a steam clean with an octane boost to boot. wate injection was first used in spitfire aircraft during WWII(that i know off).

Not quite accurate, it was first used in combat aircraft in the Messerschmitt ME109 and the Focke Wolfe 190. Variants of these aircraft used water/methanol injection for massive power boost in war emergency throttle settings. Up around 1800 to 2200 hp!!!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Any science book will tell you that you can't "create" energy, only convert it, so trying to add power to you drive train by taking power from your drive train (via the AC compressor) is going to at best, give you absolutely no increase in fuel efficiency. That would be using an A/C compressor which had 100% efficiency, in reality compressors are not 100% efficient which means you'll be loosing some of your drive train energy via heat and friction etc.

I haven't put a whole heap of thought into this, but I suspect you might be able to increase engine output by doing this, but you'd pay for it in fuel consumption, and it would probably be far less efficient than using forced induction which is designed for this purpose. (Cold air is essentially a piss-weak method of FI, as its all about increasing air density)