Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VT Ignition barrel thread...

BB2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hi guys,

I know you've heard it all before but I'm really stuck and thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

Okay problem is my fault for constantly saying I'll fix it next weekend and never actually getting around to it.

So tonight the ignition barrel in my VT Acclaim **** itself completely, near new key (6months old) goes in but will not turn, I've tried the new key, old key, jiggling, light hammering, WD40 which was probably a bad idea but desperate here.

I was hoping if I could at least get it to turn to ACC/ON I can go grab a new barrel, release the dodgy barrel and fit it myself with the help of all the other ignition barrel threads on here but she will not budge.

My question/s

1) Any ideas or tricks to get it to turn, even just once?

2) I've heard about drilling it out as a last resort, anyone got any sound advice on achieving that?

Failing that as a bad option which I don't have a great deal of confidence in achieving myself, anyone know a good locksmith that is on the level in the Wyndham Vale/Werribee area? I'm still fairly new to the area so thought I'd put it out there.

Thanks guys
Ben

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
It took me over an hour sitting there turning the key before I could get it to turn to change the barrel. It's frustrating but it will eventually turn.

Brad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive v6
mine stopped turning last week it would not turn no matter what but then i puled the key out the slightest bit and got it to turn slightly and jiggled it the rest of the way and i was able to start the car... to witch i then drove it on to get repaired and never turned it back. i guess if you can try that im not sure if its too far gone as ive read that once it starts to stick dont hesitate fix it now (why i took it straight in) but otherwise u might benefit from an angle grinder unfortunately it might be stuck good

good luck

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A little tab on the bottom of the barrel breaks off and jams the barrel, once it does that it takes a lot of patience and a bit of good luck to get it to turn. Try jiggling the key and tapping the side of the barrel at the same time.

If that doesn't work, you will have to drill the head off the bolt that holds the clamp to the column and remove it that way.

BB2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Well guys,

It's fixed....12 locksmiths and $240 bucks later that is.
So frustrating to know I could have done it for around $100, even more frustrating to watch the locksmith work for all of 5 minutes to get it unstuck and all of 15 minutes to fit the new one....Thank you $240 bucks please.

Better then being stranded I suppose.

Thanks again guys!

NOTE TO SELF: Next time ignition starts to stick act straight away and save yourself the headaches later on.

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Well guys,

It's fixed....12 locksmiths and $240 bucks later that is.
So frustrating to know I could have done it for around $100, even more frustrating to watch the locksmith work for all of 5 minutes to get it unstuck and all of 15 minutes to fit the new one....Thank you $240 bucks please.

Better then being stranded I suppose.

Thanks again guys!

NOTE TO SELF: Next time ignition starts to stick act straight away and save yourself the headaches later on.

Hmmmm I think I need to put up my prices

Dazz

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
Mines just started playing up.. has always been a bit fiddly but the panel beaters thought they'd do me a massive favour and douse it in graphite. It's now extremely difficult to get it turning. Annoying as fark.

BB2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hmmmm I think I need to put up my prices

Dazz

I think they saw me coming a mile away! Out of the 12 different locksmiths I tried most were booked until after Christmas one even wanted $300...Highway robbery!

BB2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
12 locksmiths ??????? Together or one by one ????

Lol that would have been something to see! Had to try 12 different ones and managed to find 3 that weren't fully booked and $240 was the cheapest quote. What a bitch!