Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any DJ's out there?

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
Earlier this year I fulfilled one of those things I have wanted to do for ages and that was start learning how to DJ. I did my research and for the money I wanted to invest the best option for me was a controller. So I bought a Native Instruments S4 and some studio monitors. I have been playing with this for a few months now. Like most of my hobbies I haven't really dedicated enough time to this, but I enjoy it none the less.

Thought I would start a thread as no doubt there are probably others out there who tinker at home like me. Maybe even some who actually play out. And probably some who are interested like I was. So let's discuss and share our work here. Hopefully this isn't just me here alone...

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
So I will kick this off with some of my mixes. Like I said I am relatively new to this, but I do have a bit of a music background so the fundamentals of beatmatching and phrasing I find easy. These mixes, for the most part are very well planned and rehearsed before I hit the record button. I am trying to develop my skills to be able to spit out an acceptable mix live. But I find it hard as I want anything I am posting online to be perfect.

I will start with what I think is my best work. This is a short half hour mix I made. It is mostly melodic kind of Progressive House. At the time of doing this mix I was not aware of harmonic mixing. This is where my previous music experience comes in as I inadvertently mixed this harmonically (mixing songs in key that are complementary). It does have some EQ issues where in some places during the mix there is too much bass, but I am picky about my own work.

Friday Night Progressive by DrC1 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This one I did today.... Well yesterday. I wanted to challenge myself by doing a mix with a genre I love listening to, but not mixed before. This is slower, funkier Glitch Hop that develops into some dirty Moombahton for the 2nd half of the mix. I love the last song in this @ about 32:30.

Let's Go To Kazantip by DrC1 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

That's a start. Anyone who likes these, you are welcome to download them from Soundcloud @ 320kbps. Follow me there if you have an account or give me a "like" of on Facebook ----> here to get my mixes as I make them.

snowy01

lolwut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Daily / VF SV6 /
very nice.. keep up the good work
loving Let's Go To Kazantip.

BushSSV

Stone chip collector
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV
But it's just crap done with computers! YOU didn't do anything. This isn't live.

JK mate I love dance music and have since '86; just downloaded the second mix. QQ - why only half-hour mixes - club sets are always 1 hr..

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
why only half-hour mixes - club sets are always 1 hr..

I got other things I need to do in my day.... I probably spend an hour or two in prep before hitting record. Plus I find I get more people listen to half hour mixes than one hour ones. And last but not least is, I only have limited time on Soundcloud. Half hour mixes allow me to have more up there at any one time.

New one today... Hardstyle mix this time. I originally did a hardstyle mix way back when I first started. I listened to it again the other day and realised it actually wasn't too bad. So I had been wanting to do another for a while.
Memories of Advent*Jah by DrC1 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

here is another one I did for a competition on AusDjForums.com in their noob competition. Can't remember the exact rules now. Any style, minimum 8 or 9 songs and half hour. I came 2nd which I was stoked with cause I was up against some other more experienced noobs than me. Another Electro/Progressive mix (played to my strengths).
ADJF Newb Competition - www.ausdjforums.com by DrC1 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

snowy01

lolwut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Daily / VF SV6 /
i sub'd the otherday and am cranking Memories of Advent*Jah

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
This is so weird I was at a mates house in dunkeld and he had a mixer and eq set up and we were having a real good time just playing around on it but when I got back home my missus asked if I wanted one ,that night had a pioneer djwee-go mixer of my own and have started to learn but difference is I like early hardstyle I'll eventually make a mix and put it up love this thread :)

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
I occasionally muck around on DJ pro on my lappy, if I had more time I'd be more dedicated :(

Good mixes tho mate, keep posting em up :)

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Not a DJ by any means, but I oft play around with the traktor software, and virtual DJ on the laptop - I have been looking at getting an NI S4 and some monitors for a while but haven't got to it.

Whats the S4 like interms of user friendlyness for a noob?