Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any info on Mon-Arc welders, and any tips on arc welding

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The shade on the helmet is 11 according to the box.

I will get some Cigweld electrodes next chance I get, until then I have 50 of these Weldcorp electrodes to go crazy on.

walkahz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Wagon
Whatever you do avoid Galvinised stuff when your learning! the most painfull shitty stuff you will ever have to stick weld. Also try to stay with thicker stuff >2mm thick. Thin steel will have you blowing holes everywhere.
50 sticks wont last long dont be supprised.
With welding its just practice practice practice. If you are really keen maybe try to go and do a Tafe short course they are really helpfull and most can tell you what you are doing wrong with a glance at your work.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
OK I've had a bit of a dick around, mainly just getting the feel of the gear with a lot of not real seriousness.

So a few conclusions so far:
1. I don't have the steadiest hand in the world
2. I suck :p
3. A nice flat piece of steel would be better to practice on
4. Melting bolts to slag is fun
5. And I don't think my plenum chamber will ever bolt back up again.

imag0125j.jpg

imag0126y.jpg

Notorious_Matt

Wicked Motorsports
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SS Ute
Arc is easy, I learnt to arc at an early age. I have also recently acquired my 2nd class welders certificate.

Easiest way to learn is practice, no one can really teach you how to. They can give you tips and all that but everyone has their own style.

Clamp your work (where you can), for joins tack welds are easiest to keep it in place, when getting a bead started just take it slow don't rush.
You just basically need to remember your rod angle and your speed. It is really hard to explain on a forum. The way I was tought was being shown how to plus a s**t load of theory (5 150 page books).

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
OK I've had a bit of a dick around, mainly just getting the feel of the gear with a lot of not real seriousness.

So a few conclusions so far:
1. I don't have the steadiest hand in the world
2. I suck :p
3. A nice flat piece of steel would be better to practice on
4. Melting bolts to slag is fun
5. And I don't think my plenum chamber will ever bolt back up again.

imag0125j.jpg

imag0126y.jpg

Um just a word of advice. Theres not much practice to be had stick welding aluminium lol. Sort of doesnt work real good.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Hemiway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
Using an 11 shade might still be too light most will be adjustible and around a 13 would be best if you want to see again later.(Start as dark as possible and get lighter).
pretty much everything else has been covered take your time and practice, soon enough you'll knock together the trailer and go looking for the next project.

Arc is easy, I learnt to arc at an early age. I have also recently acquired my 2nd class welders certificate.
QUOTE]

I'll see your 2nd class and raise you a Hydrogen Atomic welding cirtificate.

Cheers Hemiway

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Personally I wouldn't go past shade 10, You won't do damage at that and honestly anything above that makes it very hard to see.

Personally I would spend the coin to buy or even rent a MIG if you have a decent job ahead. ARC's are only good for on site stuff... but if you're learning for the hell of it then good luck :)

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Arc Welding is an Art.

starting is the hardest part.
I was taught that its much like starting to drive in a Manual. You have to find that sweet spot with the clutch and accelerator ( "sweet spot" = angle of rod "Accelerator" = Distance between rod and workpiece). get these 2 things correct together at once and off you go.

Working from the furtherest away and working towards you works well for me. aswell as top to bottom. This helps with perception and to keep the rod at the same distance throughout the weld.

Practice with your opposite hand, your dominant hand will feel that much steadier when you eventually start welding with confidence

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
IBLOWN: Huh, is that aluminum? Didn't know that, I just thought it was cast steel. I'm going to a scrap yard tomorrow (today) and can see if I can get some steel.

Ari: Did you practice welding him to a wall, LOL.

Hemiway: I'll try welding with my sunnies on and see how that is, but the helmet is doing pretty well so far.

Also I'm still learning right tonight even though I only did a bit this morning. I wore a shirt this morning and now I have sunburn between where the long gloves ended and where my sleeves ended, goddammit. I knew about it but I forgot to put my jacket on.