Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any info on Mon-Arc welders, and any tips on arc welding

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Acarmody, don't bother welding cast steel either. You will have a prick of a time.. Get some sheet metal and practice butt joins, t fillets and flat welding. Remeber gravity plays a part aswell, it is much harder to weld vertical up than vertical down. The tighter you hold the torch the shakier your hand will be. Relax...

Ben

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Hemiway: I'll try welding with my sunnies on and see how that is, but the helmet is doing pretty well so far.

Safety !!
use the helmet .

and wear long sleeved shirts and trousers. cover as much visible skin as possible

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
TrikkBen: I wasn't going to try welding pieces of cast steel together, just get some flat pieces to practice beading on.

Rhin0o8: Maybe I should of worded that better, I meant wearing my sunnies behind my helmet. And yes I will definitely wear my long sleeve shirts now, maybe even just go to lowes and buy a long sleeve cotton flannelet shirt.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Remeber gravity plays a part aswell,

god, how much does it suck welding upwards?!?!

and arca: wearing sunscreen on every bit of exposed skin helps heaps. its just when you start grinding the welds down that little bits of metal and grinding wheel stick to the sunscreen and itch the crap out of ya.

welding just sucks.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
and arca: wearing sunscreen on every bit of exposed skin helps heaps. its just when you start grinding the welds down that little bits of metal and grinding wheel stick to the sunscreen and itch the crap out of ya

I can imagine.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well I started today with trying a few weld on some big-ass heavy 90 degree bends, the two pieces are heavy as hell, and this was about 10 minutes in of actually trying to weld.

I could throw these two pieces on the ground as hard as I could and they stayed together, so not bad, but weld is ugly as sin.

imag0130q.jpg

imag0131y.jpg

And practice, practice, practice.

imag0135zs.jpg

I bought some 6mm sheet steel from a steel fabricator up the road, was $25 for about 1 metre by about 20cm. I know I could probably have got it for dirt at a scrap metal place but CBF came into it.

Also can anyone answer me as to why when you are chipping slag away, it has an annoying tendency to seek your eye out.

Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Lol slag egts in the worst spot down your collar in your ear mouth eyes its almost as annoying as welding overhead witha mig and no hood.

If your welding up around the 12mm thivk material you should be up around 200amp+ So it may may that whatever you welding is too thick and your not ghetting enough arc force and heat into it to get a good weld

VUte89

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz Maloo :)
200 is way too hot for 3.2's also about putting them in the oven there is no need to worry when using gp's

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Pics fixed.

I have noticed that my beads aren't quite wide enough, and also when I try welding two plates together at 90 degrees, the bead is botchy and crap, with the metal almost moving down onto the horizontal surface, and I now think I may know why. I trying to weld 6mm thick plate together using 2.5mm electrodes with about 80amps. So I have ordered some 3.2mm electrodes and will bump it up to about 120-130amps.

Apparently Murex electrodes are good, and Supercheap sells them (huh Supercheap and good in the same sentence, thought it was an oxymoron) so I will get some from them.

Last edited: