Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any tips on getting a job in the mines????

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
I've got the chance to do a Standard 11 Surface Induction. Will this be relivant for a mining job?

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
I've got the chance to do a Standard 11 Surface Induction. Will this be relivant for a mining job?
let us know once you've done it, otherwise I have no idea what it is. There are hundreds of inductions to do to get on to any site.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS

it will look good on your CV, but at the end of day if you do get on a site they have all there own induction so its not really relevant, same as the MARCRSTA. looks good but useless at the same time

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
So whats the deal with getting a mining induction?
All the mining jobs I see advertised say that you must already have an induction. I had a quick look at BMA inductions, Or is it just a case of doing as many as you can do and then start applying for jobs?

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
again most of those things get paid for by the company when they hire you for skills that you have with relevant.

When I was up in qld I was seeing entire towns full of guys like us who went and got their tickets, paid inductions etc. No one would take them on, heaps do delivery jobs like water trucks, bread trucks etc for supplier companys and thats if you can get the work and it didnt pay much.

Best advice I have heard so far on mining work :

Get a trade, get good at it or go to uni and study engineering / geology.

There is no easy way in unless your extremely lucky.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
just to add to what acex above has said.

get as many tickets/licences as you can.
that way you have a chance of more options with what you can do, thus not being limited.

now i dont know what machinery tickets you need, but try to find out and go get them.
for example back here, i have absolutely no use for the truck licence (HR non sync) i just got. maybe a LR because we have a few small trucks at work. however at the same time, theres a huge chance it can open up a few more doors for later on at different companies/locations/possiblities.

so if you can, find out what licences and tickets you can go get that you need to do certain jobs that someone else out there may not have.
in doing so, you'll have one better then those other people.

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
best advice for anyone lookin to get into mines :
Move to Kalgoorlie
go around to every labour hire company and put your name on the sheet for no shows/emergency labor hire etc every single morning. it shows ur keen and u get a fair bit of work out of it.
grab any shutdown work u can get, work hard and stay for the full shutdown. People pulling out halfway through cus they cbf with the hard jobs is very common, i even got a reference letter from extraman saying what a good job I did etc purely for sticking out the whole shut (2 weeks).
u will rack up shitloads of inductions for free and gain the required mining experience, apply for operator/process plant operator jobs and bam.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
you clearly dont know of ACM,they get the greenest of muppets around and throw them in a truck, if they look fit and look like there keen to give it a go they will be a nipper, most will be on service crew within a year, others will be truck drivers for life, and the rest get 6 months experience and move on to i higher paying job.
dont know if the rest of the industry is the same but from what ive seen, really easy to get on the trucks

Australian Contract Mining

if these guys dont hire you, just give up.
great company to work for, and they will put in the effort to train greens to any level

Is that the same mob you referenced in both posts?

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
Is that the same mob you referenced in both posts?

ha yep sure is, must of wrote that first one after a bad day at work, the company is good to work for, but they hire almost anyone, which is good if your looking for a job, training them though is another thing. hence some of the people hired are muppets and become truck drivers for life