Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone driven a VN recently?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Then it could be a bit more upmarket than it's Commodore equivalent.
It’s probably more likely to have been treated better over its lifetime too being a “grandpa Toyota” rather than a ”boy racer” Commodore.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
When I go from my VE (Or our Sorento) into my VR it feels like it's like night and day difference.

However you don't want whats now a classic car to drive like a modern car, that defeats the point. It's nice to take little trips back in time when you drive them. It reminds you how far we've come.

When I take mine out on weekends I put my mobile in the glovebox, wind the windows down, put a good cassette in and enjoy the car for the time period it came from.

Being a GM product of the late 80's/early 90's they drove.....not the best to begin with and 30+ years down the track it becomes more and more noticable now we are so conditioned to the near perfect driving experience of modern cars.

You pretty much have to accept, the interior is going to rattle, a lot (and that was a problem new it only gets worse with age), the suspension is very crude, the brakes are near non existent by todays standards (they were too small back in the day for the size/weight of the car).

I did the VT upgrade on the VR for the brakes for the sole reason that it was just unsafe in modern day traffic having such inefficient brakes. I used to drive down a 100km/h steep decent freeway in SA and I had to keep about a 10 car legnth distance between myself and the cars in front of me because I knew that if they braked quickly for whatever reason, I'd kill them.

You don't buy classic cars because they drive well, you buy them because they are cool.

Some of my favourite classic cars in existence, are almost undrivable by todays standards, but that would never stop me buying one.

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Yeah ok, that all tracks. I'm ok with a level of luxury fit for the period. It will have an easy life sitting in traffic on hoddle street really.. Best go get in it and see if I can put up with it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yeah ok, that all tracks. I'm ok with a level of luxury fit for the period. It will have an easy life sitting in traffic on hoddle street really.. Best go get in it and see if I can put up with it.
I don't think you will be disappointed, as there are no expectations of 'classic' history to it like a XU1 or GTHO or VN GrpA.
It will just be an older Commodore, oops Lexcen, of which there are not many left, and will be appreciated by those who know, provided you give it some TLC, and doesn't look like a clapped-out bogan-mobile...

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Whatever you do, look out for signs of abuse as a lot of these cars are abused by p-platers (both 3.8 and 5L). A lot of times, they are put back to stock before sale, so whilst they may look grandpa spec, they may well have been abused. I fell for this early last year when I bought a VR Commodore.

If you see a switch that is used to manually turn on the radiator fans, Run away as it will have most likely been used as a skid car.

Dashes are known to crack if not protected over its lifetime, as well as rust in the boot (under the carpet and near the water channels (if that is what they are called.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Thought vn/p were biggest piece of craps when new & thirty something years later still think they're ordinary.........but now I weirdly own one & still get surprised that people know my ute is a vp model...biggest surprise is most people actually like it.