Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone driven a VN recently?

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
There is a neat looking one around for ~3k, kinda tempted.

I'm old enough that they were new when I was in school. This really cool older kid had a white one with a mock aero body kit. At the time it felt like a luxary rocketship, but I was also 14.

I confess I havent been in one since. How do they hold up now we are used to low wind noise, sound dendening and IRS. It's got a tow bar and might be a cool little daily / do everything nuget..

Rare Spares still seem to stock all the trim, might not be troo insane if they dont feel like a 30yr old piles of **** these days :p

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
+1 for having a look at one and taking it for a test drive

The VN's (at least in 3800 form) go very well, though they're old cars nowadays, so expect issues and do your research... I'm sure there are plenty of old threads which detail the issues that these cars can suffer from...

Though please don't put a fully sick body kit on it :D

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I hate a mate who was a bit of a spinner they used to call him bullshit Bill. Anyway he said his brother had a VN and was racing some bloke and while giving it off the start and they were going head to head so he decided to put it in to "R" for racing and he blew the motor. He didn't realise "R" meant Reverse

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I had a VN 5 litre Calais (FE2 susp) for about 230Km. Absolutely loved it, and wished I still had it.
Comfortable, fast for long distances and roomy.

But, what killed the love was little problems that continually occured, windows falling down, cruise control working only on alternate days, oil leaks from anywhere, front suspension strut top rubbers, vague electrical problems which came and went unexplained .......... generally, apprehension for whatever niggly thing was to break or not work as it got older.
The body was subject to creaks and rattles, and structural sturdiness is nowhere near VT and later.
Check for rust around the front and rear screens.

At the time when I traded it, a VT made more financial sense.
But, now ........ as a neat and tidy historical runabout .......... why not. You have nothing to lose, except money.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Yeah ok, cheers all, standard old car stuff after all, fair enough.

This car is an early Lexcan, its located ~80km away. Perhaps worth a trip if it survives the weekend.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Yeah ok, cheers all, standard old car stuff after all, fair enough.

This car is an early Lexcan, its located ~80km away. Perhaps worth a trip if it survives the weekend.
Lexcen's tend to be worth less than their Holden badges twins... Probably because of the name... It's the same car, except it has a Toyota badge and a few minor differences... Plus, it's a part of Australian automotive history...

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
I know right, snapshot in history. Plus I can tell my partner I bought a Toyota and not a "Holden" :p

I mean it looks alright (from this distance)

Last edited: