Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone elses VT have a ticking noise to it??

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
that sounds a bit like a harmonic balancer to me edals

Well it only does it at idle or when you rev it and as no load is on the engine so I don't know :s

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
I too having problem with injectors. My symptoms are ticking/tapping at idle, loud noise at low rpm, sluggishness, hard gear change. I put two bottles of gm fuel injector cleaner and some premium fuel and now the car is getting quiet, more power, gear changing really nice now. I am going to keep putting fuel injector cleaner from now on untill problem. clears..

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
cheers boys and to the dude picking on the title i cant change it now mate. ill have a look around the manifold with the hose and see what i can hear. i guess putting in injector cleaner cant hurt but if the problem keeps coming back wouldnt it be worth overhauling or buying new injectors?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
cheers boys and to the dude picking on the title i cant change it now mate. ill have a look around the manifold with the hose and see what i can hear. i guess putting in injector cleaner cant hurt but if the problem keeps coming back wouldnt it be worth overhauling or buying new injectors?

No, no not picking on the title, I'm just joking around. I haven't seen a single Ecotec that doesn't tick for some reason.

I think I just found my ticking sound today while doing a random engine bay inspection.

My question now is, how the hell did I miss that????

20121025125947.jpg

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
your all good mate =]=] that is a nasty crack in your extractor :( that probably is making the tick! if you replace or fix it mate please let me know if it dampens your sound? im gonna bring it up to my little brother that if he buys new manifolds it could make a difference i mean for $40 ea ya cant complain.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm just not sure whether I should take them to an exhaust place or a metal machinist/welder?

See how its over the welded name plate, if they weld that up, will it penetrate down through to the actual pipe? I'm not sure?

alpha_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
Most ecotecs now tick, especially vs and vt's because they're well over 10 years old, have been poorly maintained and have done some serious kms.

I remember when vs and vt's were new and they didn't sound very ticky....

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Is the crack in the extractor or just the brand plate?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well judging by the lines of corrosion coming out of it and the ticking noise, I would say gas is escaping, so all the way through.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
id pull the cracked side off and take it to an exhaust place. i certainly wouldnt buy new ones yet. thats a shame most vs and vts will tick but i mean if you look after your engine and slowly swap out and replace stuff as you go you could make it go away couldnt you?

i have extractors on my vp commodore and they are rusted bad and rub against my chassis rail cause my suspension is stuffed and i dont get a tick from them *fingers crossed it stays that way* and to be honest the extractors have been taking a beating by rubbing against the chassis for a decent period of time.