Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone got a VZ Cross 8 Crewman? (But now I have one :) )

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
8DF5EA6B-9058-4441-B319-FDC39D42825E.jpeg

381E68D2-4CFE-4701-BA73-DA0D8B922388.jpeg
Urrgh. This gross engine bay. It’s pretty clean from above now, however I’m not happy with it. So off came the coils and the computer.

5738D73D-2381-4D6C-BB5A-54E4BFA3ECD9.jpeg

8029ADF4-5B44-4B8E-AE40-BE944FB982EE.jpeg

Got the grot cleaned off most of the top. The heat shielding on the front diff breather tube will get sorted.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have engine bay all bagged up pretty much, ready for a solid clean when the weather improves. Back of the motor and lower front have a lifetime of schmutz and oil on it.
1FE2C583-3954-44D9-9BBA-26037DD40FE0.jpeg

Once that is done, then I’m removing rocker covers and valley cover. New seals on cam and crank sensor. I’ll suss out the oil drainage on the underside of the rocker cover and improve that if needed. I’ll be able to clean out the PCV in the valley cover too. New knock sensors and seals going in. Will use sealant around those.

Rocker covers and valley cover will be pressure cleaned.

Injectors will get a ghetto clean and new seals and filter. New intake seals. The intake will get a solid clean inside too.

Will use some party balloons to cover a couple more plugs. Throttle body has a rag in there, two nitrile gloves over it, then cable tied a bag over it. ECU plugs have bubble wrap, then a bag taped and cable tied over it, and held upright out the way.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
B973C298-405A-40FB-969F-6FF26D11ED25.jpeg

Fan shroud is out. That’s already been cleaned in this photo. It will be getting a soak of aerospace303 so will look even better
BA0622AC-2CFE-4AC7-8691-55178568FE1D.jpeg

The fans can’t be separated from the motor because not cool things happen, so I’ve freshened up the bolts and the top part of the motors with some silver epoxy.
661A24EC-FCC4-4AAA-9DF7-1CED5BE8A97C.jpeg

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah. Kid has special needs and can absorb a lot of time that others would find spare.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The front seatbelts have challenged me. I had these cleaned and really snappy. The belt lock won’t engage when it’s reefed on. Remove the belt and it grabs fine. So new belts for the front are on the cards.

Play around with the positioning of the reel, if you can. If that doesn't work, the reel may need a mechanism clean. Usually works for aircraft inertia belts. But not for the home handyman dismantler, springs and things will fly off into the unknown. WD40 is a no-no.
These people may be able to help ........... Aircraft Interiors Australia – Aircraft Trimming and Car Seat Belt Repairs

I think @figjam said they are the same as used on some Jeeps. So worth a go

I think you can take credit for that discovery, if it is the same.

Reactions: Lex

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pvc pipe through airbox & shroud piece in front of it will do the trick...paint black to match although won't really notice it with top radiator plastic cover on...it makes surprising difference even I was surpried when tried it on vy sv8.

I think vt & maybe vx models had the twin outlets standard issue if want to track down factory pieces.

Reckon should look into old hiding trick put pcm under dash to clean up bay...later on get it tuned maybe tri-y pacies coated then titanium wrapped.

Starting to look 'Babalouie' clean when he did his Hakosuka build thread years ago!!!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pvc pipe through airbox & shroud piece in front of it will do the trick...paint black to match although won't really notice it with top radiator plastic cover on...it makes surprising difference even I was surpried when tried it on vy sv8.

I think vt & maybe vx models had the twin outlets standard issue if want to track down factory pieces.

Reckon should look into old hiding trick put pcm under dash to clean up bay...later on get it tuned maybe tri-y pacies coated then titanium wrapped.

Starting to look 'Babalouie' clean when he did his Hakosuka build thread years ago!!!
I have one on a T-Shirt!