Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone had trouble with HID colour being too blue. just need some advice

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
am putting in HID into my projectors. was thinking of 6000k seems to be what most use. i want just a nice light blue tint. not dark. and i dont want a white light. friend has 4300k just a tiny bit a blue. he said go to 6000k should be just right. another said 8000k. dont want to buy it and it look dark blue or get hassles from cops. ... can anyone advise on this.

thanks in advance.

vz_sv6_owner1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS storm ute
7200k has a slight blue colour to it but not alot. I run them in my vz with projectors and they are fine. Havn't been pulled up yet and I have had them for 6 months

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
The higher the color temperature, the lower the light output, Go for 5000k or a maximum of 6000k, For optimum light output, 4300k HID's would do the job, But for Aesthetics, 5000k.

Cheers
Mat

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I always laugh at people that get higher kelvins Higher kelvins the less light output. lumen's
anything over 6000k is a waste.
Kelvin is the temperature colour. Lumens is the brightness
The more lumen the better.

wake jake

Reaction score
Members Ride
SIDI SV6 Ute
Got the All-In-One HID kit in mine 6000k gives off pure white light on the road and blue/white colour from head on. 8000k is too blue and wont be as bright 6000k FTW

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
thanks for your advice. will get the 6000k for my lows beams and fogs.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
And today's science lesson for the HID ummm - crowd is..... "that's also why the sky is blue".

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Pictured - Low beam 8000k high beam 10000k.

BUT .. this gets you the blue colour you are looking for, but when I asked for HID's I knew little and just took what they recommended. I wanted better lights, they must have thought I wanted to be colourful lol...

Forget the blue, I've since switched to 5000k on both and visibility is far better... blue is only barely visible and only from some angles, its not going to do anything for you cosmetically but the light is stronger.

dakster-albums-vs-berlina-project-picture112395-hid-headlamps-side-view-they-have-only-been-10-seconds-takes-about-minute-most-blueness-disappear-they-warm-up.JPG

Last edited:

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Pictured - Low beam 8000k high beam 10000k.

BUT .. this gets you the blue colour you are looking for, but when I asked for HID's I knew little and just took what they recommended. I wanted better lights, they must have thought I wanted to be colourful lol...

Forget the blue, I've since switched to 5000k on both and visibility is far better... blue is only barely visible and only from some angles, its not going to do anything for you cosmetically but the light is stronger.

dakster-albums-vs-berlina-project-picture112395-hid-headlamps-side-view-they-have-only-been-10-seconds-takes-about-minute-most-blueness-disappear-they-warm-up.JPG

I hate that people dont even know there product they sell.
The higher the kelvin temperature the less light. You said you went down to 5000k and got better light because there is less kelvins and more lumen.
BMW use HID 4500k from factory i have found them being very good.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
BMW use HID 4500k from factory i have found them being very good.
4,300K is OEM.

I got 4,300K aftermarket and it puts white light with hint of yellow on a white wall. On grey walls or most things out on roads it looks like just white light, especially off street signs. Looking at the projector they look pure white.