Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone hard-wired a radar to overhead lights?

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I've purchased a radar mount that mounts the radar so it sits just below the rear view mirror so now I'm wanting to hard wire it and instead of running the cable down the A-pillars I was thinking wiring it to somewhere in the overhead console would be a better option, has any-one done this?

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V
Haha, I was going to post a thread like this soon. I want to do the same thing - I saw somewhere that the lights are constant 12v and you could use them (edit - found it https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/12v-power-roof.233527/post-2638774) , but it wouldn't be like the acc wire so you'd have to remember to turn it on/off.

If anyone has more info or has done this before, I'd like to hear / see what they've done!

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
And what is your radar system for? Weather? Enemy migs? Or are you a cop mounting speed detection radar?

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
you know there is a cheaper way to do it... dont speed. -_-

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
And in NZ (and Perth from where another person was replying), radar is legal as I understand it?

So whilst I'm sure there's a stack of guys just busting a nut to start lecturing, I bet those same people would happily install a radar detector if it was legal where they lived.

Although I would think a laser detector would be far more beneficial... but you'd need to have cat like reflexes to slow down enough before the operator locks in on you (which depending on person using it could be a second or less).

But to answer your question OP, you're going to have to run power up the b pillar from the center console, or even better a direct source from battery.
Those detectors can draw quite a bit, and the light circuitry/wiring in the roof wouldnt be enough I would think.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Do these even work I was going to buy one back in like 2002 but never bothered. Surely the police see you before you see them and if it only takes one second for the police to lock in isnt the radar detector only going to beep at you to alert you basically that yes you have been done speeding which the police are obviously going to also alert you with flashing lights and sirens. Not having a go just saying..... If these did work though and I dont know how they work but if they did I would probably install one just for the fun of it. Pretty sure though in nsw the would be illegal.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I've been thinking of the same wiring idea for a dash cam.

Cheap radar detectors are rubbish, a decent one will give you good range but a better option is a remote head unit that has the sensor on the number plate both front and back. The rest of the unit is in the car which is really just the noise and lights.

A decent detector will detect all radar frequencies and also lazer, most of the cheap ones have this too but are far less reliable, but the time it goes off, it's too late for you.

This is from personal experience In wa, fwiw I never got pinged cos I wasn't speeding when I was detected.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Wait, wait, wait. Is this a thread about radar? Or radar detectors? Because OP only mentioned radar and UFO also only mentioned radar.