Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone tried a cheap Android touchscreen head unit?

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Just wondering if anyone's tried one of the cheap <$200 ones you see all over ebay and kogan now? Looking to replace my old single din Sony unit and something with Android connectivity and reverse camera compatibility seems pretty handy. I know there are better brands around but the price difference is huge. Main concern is with the loom.
Anyone tried them?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Just wondering if anyone's tried one of the cheap <$200 ones you see all over ebay and kogan now? Looking to replace my old single din Sony unit and something with Android connectivity and reverse camera compatibility seems pretty handy. I know there are better brands around but the price difference is huge. Main concern is with the loom.
Anyone tried them?
I got one from China about 5 years ago, about $300.00. Its the 10" one. Its still going. No complaints.

All the high price ones come from China too. The companies just puts their profit on it. :)

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
That h/u you linked to, looks like the one l have.
I had to hard wire it. There was no h/u plug for the original h/u.
Everything works. No problems at all.

The older units like mine, you had to wire a wire to the hand brake. This has to do with the video, so wouldn't play while car is mobile. To get around it (so video would play while car is mobile) you would just earth it, & video would play while mobile.
Newer models l've noticed have vss wire that has to be wired to the vehicle speed sensor?
1643447417220.png

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I'm close to year 3 the unit I put in looks about the same as the unit you've linked to its still working no worrys.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
I have two in various vehicles. One I bought from eBay and that's in the Addy, works quite well, it's been in there around 5 years, but my Addy doesn't do a lot of kms.

The second one I have is an Xtron unit I bought off eBay and that's in my daily. It's been working well. None of them are perfect, but they seem to hold up. I like the Android ones because you can always update the apps and keep up to date with most tech. The one in my daily has been there for about 4 years and I think I paid about $400 for it, so if it craps itself I will probably just replace it with a newer model. I prefer the ability to be able to connect it to the net and update the apps on a regular basis.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Besides having Google Maps. Is there any need for an Android Auto HU? I have a Pioneer double din and the only thing that I could have used was Google Maps, which is actually pretty average in Tas when the stupid app tells you to turn where you can't turn, or doesn't have all the roads, because the car with the camera hasn't been my way for over 8 years. And it requires a mob signal to stay on the right road. So unless you get one that can connect to the satellite which I have been told some of the expensive units can do I couldn't even use it the way it's intended.