Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone tried an AquaPulsar ignition system??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I know what your saying but (snip) Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

Spot on! I've spent thousands over the years on aftermarket gizmos....even tried water injection, CDI ignition and the Doring Spark Improver - had fun with some of the gear and probably regretted buying others. If you buy some of their stuff, please share your findings. Good Luck.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
by there comparision there saying MSD is better than stock, well we all know MSD coils provide no advantage over stock, really once the fuel is ignited how big your spark is doesn't mean jack all. Also they state there systems supply 30amps per plug vs 200ma for MSD, poor alternator keeping up the supply to those coils wont be saving you fuel.
I dont think they are talking about MSD coils, but MSD controllers such as the 6AL

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
by there comparision there saying MSD is better than stock, well we all know MSD coils provide no advantage over stock, really once the fuel is ignited how big your spark is doesn't mean jack all. Also they state there systems supply 30amps per plug vs 200ma for MSD, poor alternator keeping up the supply to those coils wont be saving you fuel.

Mate after my experience with the Pulstar Pulse plug over what I have now as std & especially considering that I use LPG - spark is everything & the more of it the better.

When I was on the floor as a mechanic - I used to tune the old Nissan Pintara's they had a twin spark plug / ignition system & on petrol if one system failed you lost a heap of power - the idle itself could be dropped by at least 300 rpm by switching it off & on. Now on lean burn technology again spark is everything. Your commodore has a lean burn function - though it doesn't go anywhere near as lean as a dedicated lean burn car because of the catalytic convertor - if you go too lean with these they will burn out. So if your going for better fuel consumption Yes spark is everything & the more of it the better.

stuntmanmike

Car wotsit & stuff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 V6 Auto / VS BT1 5.0 / VY SV8
Don't believe the hype!
If this Aqua-fangdangled-wotsit was worth it's weight in gold then it would be engineered and designed into our cars today as a marketing advantage.
200A with 50V at the plug tip should weld the piston crown quite nicely to the spark plug if this is true.
The spark plug leads have to be made out of some amazing insulation materials from the photos I've seen. IMO this is not suitable for pump fuels.
I run the strongest spark on my race car and have 11mm custom plug wires to eliminate "spark leakage" and the use rubber fuel hose where the leads come close to an earth source for additional isulation. My fuel is methanol and a good spark is warranted with my application. My ignition system would see no efficiency increase in thermal advantage or power increase on a typical petrol car other than being able to set low speed idle at 400rpm. Big deal...
Aqua = water
Pulser = pulsations
***Aquapulser Spark Amp will allow a skilled tech to tune the engine AFR from 14:1 up to 30:1 without power loss or harmful emissions.***

"up to 30:1"?????????????? WTF! Ultra lean = melted pistons.
I think this unit is for those that want to convert their car to run on water for HHO fuel (H2O-no). I don't care how skilled the tuner techie is.

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't believe the hype!
If this Aqua-fangdangled-wotsit was worth it's weight in gold then it would be engineered and designed into our cars today as a marketing advantage.
200A with 50V at the plug tip should weld the piston crown quite nicely to the spark plug if this is true.
The spark plug leads have to be made out of some amazing insulation materials from the photos I've seen. IMO this is not suitable for pump fuels.
I run the strongest spark on my race car and have 11mm custom plug wires to eliminate "spark leakage" and the use rubber fuel hose where the leads come close to an earth source for additional isulation. My fuel is methanol and a good spark is warranted with my application. My ignition system would see no efficiency increase in thermal advantage or power increase on a typical petrol car other than being able to set low speed idle at 400rpm. Big deal...
Aqua = water
Pulser = pulsations
***Aquapulser Spark Amp will allow a skilled tech to tune the engine AFR from 14:1 up to 30:1 without power loss or harmful emissions.***

"up to 30:1"?????????????? WTF! Ultra lean = melted pistons.
I think this unit is for those that want to convert their car to run on water for HHO fuel (H2O-no). I don't care how skilled the tuner techie is.

Hi - I have been giving your post considerable thought & done some research on the subject. The main thing is that you cant compare the Aqua Pulsar to conventional ignition system - they are using amps not volts & a much shorter spark period due to the use of capacitors - which is very different - it's just chalk & cheese. Unfortunately they do not supply much info on the AquaPulsar system.

Just done some reading on the Nology Hot wires which are essentially the same as Pulstar plugs & also relates to the Aqua Pulsar as they all use capacitors. If your using high voltage the amps are minimal - you might have 50k volts but far less than an Amp when igniting, high amps & you have low voltage (remember you only have 12 V's from the car battery) & if you have a high voltage = a tendency to leak voltage where ever it can. I see the ignition system of the Aqua Pulsar system triggering a capacitor probably of the cars voltage in the control unit - the initial high voltage from the ignition coil bridging the gap of the spark plug & then a lower voltage from the Aqua Pulsar unit maintaining that arc - but at a much shorter time period. The problem is Amps cant jump the gap as the voltage is too high. If you look at the way its wired - its getting energy from elsewhere as well - where as Pulstar & Nology just work on the energy supplied from the coil by reclaiming waste energy & igniting it over a far shorter time period & much more efficiently. Nology claim to have increased AFR's for lean burn tuning by around 1.5 (I read it & couldn't find the quote again) from 23.7 -1 ? to 24. ? something in testing - which I though was quite a bit. All people who race cars know that more spark equals more horsepower - to see the difference from when I started my apprenticeship with points & then electronic inductive systems & now electronic computer systems - know that better & well timed spark gives smoother running & more power - add pulsar pulse plugs & its even better again. The difference is going to be smaller as technology increases though - but this will show a big difference with lean burn systems. Some interesting stuff on the following links.

HotWires Details

HotWires ThermoDynamics

http://pulstar.com/main/myfolder/PDF/TechPaper_Summary.pdf

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i dont get how some of these plugs can have capacitors inside the core, for a start the capacitor size to handle that voltage and amperage would be 50x the size of a spark plug and also capacitors can't handle that kind of heat, most these days are only rated to 105deg c

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
i dont get how some of these plugs can have capacitors inside the core, for a start the capacitor size to handle that voltage and amperage would be 50x the size of a spark plug and also capacitors can't handle that kind of heat, most these days are only rated to 105deg c

It's all done with smoke and mirrors.

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was reading on the Pulstar site that they couldn't do it up until now according to Pulstar as they due to these issues - they didn't have anything that would stand up to the situation - with the Direct Hits the capacitors have been specially made for them out of new materials. Nology doesn't mention anything at all - but there is reference to using a peaking capacitor in many ignition articles that I have seen so far.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
well if someones got money to splash buy one and lets see some inside photos of the circuit boards. :D

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
^^^ If you go to the overunity forums you will find many wiring diagrams to build your own plasma spark system that will work the same as the RP 4700.