Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone used a prepaid wifi modem?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Ok so im going away to tafe for 3 weeks and i am taking my laptop so i was thinking of buying a prepaid wifi modem so i can still use the internet, i can also use the modem for my ipod touch and phone. As far as i know these and usb type modems work off 3G or something, just wondering if anyone has used these before and what the speed is like for them.

Cheers

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
I used one for 9 months while in hospital.
In my experience it never dropped out and only had a shitty connection when i was in a really old building.

I used optus wireless n the speed was pretty good and signal was usually pretty strong too.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I used a 3 one about 3 or 4 years ago when they just came out. Yeah they work on the 3G network like the phones do. I don't know if the network is better now but sometimes the signal would drop if I moved to another area or drop out occasionally. Only had a slow speed and 250mb download. They have come a long way now, think it's up to 3gb or something, and a much faster speed for the same price I was paying back then.

The main thing is they work for what they are.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I use Telstra in a very remote area of Western Australia and the reception is surprisingly ok. Screwed if their are clouds (rare).

Galixia

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 CBR1000RR & G6E Turbo
i used to use 3 when i was living in melb and its good for in built up areas but as soon as left the bigger cities had nothing... im living out country qld now and useing telstra usb wireless and its speeds are about the same speed as what my 3 was in melb... downloads about 100-130kb/s. 3 has no signal out here or i would still be useinf it cause the telstra is about 3 times more expensive

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
I used telstra prepaid for a while. Was excellent in all areas including the country. speed was very good. I was surprised how long credit lasted for just normal email stuff and nbrowing the net.

Now i have a Iphone with data package i just hook that to my laptop instead and use the data on the phone. works the same way as prepaid usb modem except i dont need to carry the modem seperate anymore.