Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AP Racing 4 Piston Brakes

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Hmmm...they look good, did you see these? PK1 COMMODORE VB TO VZ BIG BRAKES HSV 330mm PBR - eBay, Other Car Parts, Accessories, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 21-Oct-08 00:23:20 AEST) These ones have braided hoses. I'd go for braided if you're going to do track days or something like that, if you're not, then the AP's might be getting under-used...still nice....

I saw them, but they have smaller rotors and only 2pot front and 1pot rear calipers compared with the AP kit. Wasn't sure it was worth spending $1500-$1600 for essentially bigger rotors and new pads, when i could spend $400 for some stock size RDA slotted rotors and pads. There is also a similar HSV kit available: BRAND NEW HSV PERFORMANCE BRAKE KIT SUIT VT-VZ MODELS - eBay Other Brakes, Brakes, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 16-Oct-08 12:34:54 AEST)

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Got the brakes fitted today. Have to bed them in so taking it easy, but the first thing i noticed is the brake is a lot firmer. To stop you need to push the pedal with a bit more force. Is this normal?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Just looking at the basics of the brake system, in theory, if you kept the std. 1" master, it should be a lighter pedal, as you now have the same displacement on your master trying to displace the extra pistons. Now that is assuming that to displace the pistons on your new brakes, you need marginally more fluid than with your original brakes. If there is less fluid needed, this could explain the harder pedal, but giving you more pad surface area at the same time. Make sense? You also have factors like rotor & pad material differences.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
New brake lines can also give a firmer pedal feel.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Thats for the replies guys. Yes it does have new brake lines, but not braided lines. From what i've felt the spongy pedal feel is no longer there too. Can't wait to bed them in so that i can really test them.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Front before and after:
front1.JPG
front2.JPG

Rear before and after:
rear1.JPG
rear2.JPG

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
You need to get some new wheels to show off the brakes!

They hide them to much

p.s: ****ING HUGE!!!

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
The photos don't really do them justice... they look bigger in real life.
New wheels would be nice, but 19's will make the brakes look small. They will the 18's out nicely :)

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Looks like there is FA clearance on the front calipers to the wheel

the back ones are bigger then the original fronts lol

Big difference?

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Looks like there is FA clearance on the front calipers to the wheel

the back ones are bigger then the original fronts lol

Big difference?

Yeah nearly no clearance between front calipers and wheels. Havn't really tested them yet as i'm still bedding them in... probably only done 10kms on them. Can't wait to try some hard repeated braking to see how well they stop and resist fade.