Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apprentices... How much you earning a week?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ Now you're going the other way with your comments...

Doese "paper pushers" are the engineers who designed the roads and infrastructure which was then build by the tradies.

Those paper pushers designed the cars that the labourer then build.

So you're just as bad as Swordfish with you're comments.

Anyone with half a brain knows that the world only functions when everyone works together.

If we didn't have one or the other, white collar or blue, the world would not function... we need both. And both parties contribute equally.

Anyway... this is getting off topic.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
^^^ Now you're going the other way with your comments...

Doese "paper pushers" are the engineers who designed the roads and infrastructure which was then build by the tradies.

Those paper pushers designed the cars that the labourer then build.

So you're just as bad as Swordfish with you're comments.

Anyone with half a brain knows that the world only functions when everyone works together.

If we didn't have one or the other, white collar or blue, the world would not function... we need both. And both parties contribute equally.

Anyway... this is getting off topic.

yes i understand the balance needed for design and manufacture as such, but when it comes down to it, its made by the blue collars, which i said, meh cant explain it, but anyway that post of mine comes across a bit arrogant i guess cause where i work you can see the changing attitude in management, its clearly obvious more money is being taken away from outdoor works and jobs, compared to how white collars are treated and the amount of job postions available, yet they still want more for less if you get my jist...

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
yes i understand the balance needed for design and manufacture as such, but when it comes down to it, its made by the blue collars, which i said, meh cant explain it, but anyway that post of mine comes across a bit arrogant i guess cause where i work you can see the changing attitude in management, its clearly obvious more money is being taken away from outdoor works and jobs, compared to how white collars are treated and the amount of job postions available, yet they still want more for less if you get my jist...

Lol. Here we go. White Collar vs. Blue Collar.

Supply and demand determines wages. It's cheaper and easier to find someone to hold a sign outdoor than to find a suitable engineer to design the road. The engineer has 5+ years of education and experience, isn't it fair that he get rewarded?

My degree cost me over $30k, plus foregone wages during the 4 year period. Damn right I get paid more than someone without one.

So it's not more for less, it's paying for the human resources we have and compensating us for the smaller supplier.

edit: It's also stupid comparing the two roles. Softcocks vs. Dumbarses. Come on.

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
It's that easy to work an office job?

At my last job, we all stayed in the office for some crazy hours and supplemented it all with hours spent at home on our laptops. We may not be doing physical work, but we did plenty of actual work.

I've stayed up plenty of nights preparing things, doing stuff etc. At least when you leave your place of work, your job is done.

Not to mention the sick day being a "work from home" day, as it is in a lot of offices.

We don't just sit around in suits, drinking coffee and throw scrunched up paper at each other.

HAHA, it's sounds as though you are only looking at your intellectual contribution to your workplace. I and many others around the blue collar work force put a physical and intellectual days work in. Do you know what dwell (in mS) a factory nissan coil will handle compared to a holden V6 coil ? and these questions go on and on. Some questions can only be answered by spending unpaid time researching. I cannot bill my employer for a piece of verbal information i handed to him today merely because i learnt "this" at 9pm at night! Don't think because people that dig holes for a living and people that approve massive high rises are so different. Intellect is part of every day life. I believe it has been labelled "common sense" which might very well be "common sense" for your choice of industry. Physical input at work is a different bar to level-out between chosen profession's.

AdamLavv

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A on L's :D
1st year apprentice mechanic

I'm a school based 1st year apprentice mechanic, one day a week

bringing in a whopping $72 a week!:hit:

Probly explains why I havn't got my dream VP calais yet :bang:

but my boss says I'm so good I can complete a 4 year course in 2 1/2 :yeah:

so I'll be one about $1000 a week once im 19

lippy6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 ute 5 speed
3rd year brickie take home $630

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
so I'll be one about $1000 a week once im 19

HA, unless you have a real generous boss or your in a unionised workplace, youd probably only get close to that before tax

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
to all those electrical apprentices out there, heads up, our eba is currently being reviewed, and if your a apprentice you can expect a extra amount of money heading your way.

i know my wage is expected to jump by $3.11 a hour once it is a proved, so you can expect the same amount yourself

and to all those apprentices out there, in other trades, keep it up guys, your wage may be **** now, but you can laugh when your a qualified tradie earning over 100k a year and ejoying yourself.

on a side note, i think those in the medical proffesion do get underpaid, i.e. nurses and the fella who takes the x-rays, and scientists also.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
omfg thats the most arrogant post ever,

think of it this way, imagine what the world would be like with all paper pushers,

1, there would be no roads
2, there will be no shops, deliveries wont be made by trucks, see 3 below
3, trucks break down, no one there to fix them
4, no cars are built, so you can drive from home to uni for many years,
5, no electricty
6, no water

should i go on

No, you shouldn't go on.

More accurately, you would be without all of that if there weren't "pencil pushers" like me. The engineers are the ones who make the world go around and design systems. Generally a trade will carry out a task (i.e. pour a foundation for a power pylon) which is just part of the larger, engineered system. Without engineers you would have no electricity distribution, any vehicles, and none of the little "SLOW" signs that your mates hold up whilst they are building the roads because the reflective material used on them hadn't been developed.

moron, the whole world is made from tradies and outdoor workers, non of this would exist without them,

I don't disagree that these facilities you speak of wouldn't exist without tradies (ie. to do the 'hammer and nail' work), but you're wrong by inferring they are completely responsible for the conception and execution of the world's services.

Last edited:

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
omfg thats the most arrogant post ever,

think of it this way, imagine what the world would be like with all paper pushers,

1, there would be no roads
2, there will be no shops, deliveries wont be made by trucks, see 3 below
3, trucks break down, no one there to fix them
4, no cars are built, so you can drive from home to uni for many years,
5, no electricty
6, no water

should i go on

moron, the whole world is made from tradies and outdoor workers, non of this would exist without them,

if you think otherwise, please enlighten me

if there were no thinkers in the world, there would be no society, no new inventions, nothing.
who would have invented the combustion engine, the computer, phones, the plane, medicines, or pretty much anything else you can think of. did tradies learn about physics, or math, or put people into space? have tradies cured diseases, did they discover the speed of light or learn that the world was round? to address the points you made
1. who designs the roads? a pencil pusher. without him, you have dirt tracks.
2. who invented the truck? who created the postal system
3. yes youre right there. we need people to fix them.
4. once again, who created the car, and the engine? who did the research to mass produce them, and to improve them?
5. dont think a tradie discovered the light bulb, or electricity.
6. plenty of fresh water reservoirs out there.

so yeah, thinkers are just as important as the tradies you seem to think deserve so much credit. theyre the ones creating new things and advancing civilisation, while the tradies are there to support and maintain things now.
how about the things in life that a tradie would have almost no influence on? what about history's philosophers, such as aristotle, socrates, and the many others that have had an influence on the way society and government are structured, and for introducing the world to democracy?
think about all that before you start putting down the "paper pusher"

good post tommo