Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are Ex or Current Cops cars equipped with a modifed chip?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Hi Everyone,
I would like to know about the rumour about cop cars being chipped or not.
I think myself that they aren't, it's just a saying. My Mum owns an ex VN Cop car. I can't see anything special about the chip in it.
Then also I have been told that the police get the chips removed from the cars before being re-sold.
I would like someone to know if they have hard evidence to let me know whether this is true or false.
Also if they did chip their cars, did they chip both the V6s and V8s.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

jdd

Reaction score
This topic has already been covered numerous times.
I’m sure others will chip in too but the bottom line is that there were no performance mods made to these chips. Some had the base idle speed increased slightly to stop the battery going flat when idling for long periods with the lights on, that was all.

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
Yep what he said ;)

I thought I'd chip in too :rolleyes:

Anyway, do a search if you like there have been many....discussions...about it

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
And some had extra shielding to stop radio interference - both ways!

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Ricer boys will say yes...

Pretty much everyone else will agree they are unmodded.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
yeh thay are not modded at all my mate works at QLD depot, he fits the cars with lights an all that an his dad is a mechanic on them an says there all stock as a rock besides lowering abit

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
as all have said ... no there have never been performance police chips.
police cars are built from a package(9c1) made by Holden
there are no other modifications made to the cars

Cheers Rob

F

flash

what ever. they have differnt suspension for better handling and cornering and they also have a modified chip for better acceleration that's all. whats the point of them having just stock cars when any worked 6 or 8 will beat them.

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
flash said:
what ever. they have differnt suspension for better handling and cornering
Correct, FE2 is a key component of the BT1 and 9C1 police packs.

flash said:
and they also have a modified chip for better acceleration that's all.
No, this has never been the case at all, the only differences in police spec memcals are listed above. If you compare 2 programs from similar era memcals (ie VP pursuit & VP stock V8) you'll see they are identical, and the only difference in the broadcast code on them is because of the shielding inside the blue memcal casing as well as the external shielding they had around the ECU.
Comparing later programs reveals the idle speed being lifted, as pointed out above, and that's about it.

flash said:
whats the point of them having just stock cars when any worked 6 or 8 will beat them.
The point is they are not the ones taking risks to escape, they are pursuing, therefore only need to keep up & wait for driver error.
And if you're pushing that wheelbarrow, then what's the point of having rodeo divvy vans? Geez, go back to the late 80s & they were using the F100/F250/F350 slugs as caged trucks, and 3.9L fowl-cans as highway cars (as well as V6 commodores between 8/88 and 3/89) - anything decent can escape from them......

WA still have V6 highway cars - and very few, if any V8s.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Flash, i see you have fallen victim to the urban myth, you can believe what you want.
In actual fact police pack cars are slower than a similar vehicle with no 9C1 fitted due to the extra weight.
Having been personally involved in testing VS police pack cars, i found the drag caused by the light bar on the roof caused a loss of 20 to 30 kmh in top speed. and in hot weather the extra load would cause overheating .
so if youre interested in buying a "cop chip" i can get them for you for $750 each, but theyre very rare as they are always removed before sale but i can get them from my mates uncles friend who gets them from the girl who lives across the road from the lady who babysits for the bloke who walks the dog for a man who knows someone that gets them from the secret cupboard in a factory that does all the police secret hot rod work and his brothers wife once actually saw someone talking about a chip in a police car & they said its true.

i will now remove my tounge from my cheek....hehehe

Cheers Rob