Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are Lock Nuts Worth It?

Are Lock Nuts Worth It?

• Total voters
O

ozute

Howdy folks.. Just wondering what people thought of having lock nuts on your wheels. I've read peoples comments that cheaper ones can be easily stripped off with certain tools, but are they a deterrent at all and worth a couple of extra bucks?

96VScomm

They Slow them down in stealin your wheels. But if someone really wants your wheels/car and they know what they are doin, they will get it, no matter what you do. :ranting:

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
IMO yes they are worth it. It won't deter the pro thieves but it will deter the amatuers and kids who have been know to jack cars up whilst their owners sleeps, ripping their rims off and leaving their pride and joy standing on bricks.

fixxxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
A fellow collegue, has his VY SS jacked up over night a few weeks back, he did own lock nuts, however they were in his draw, and were on the "to do" list.

Wether they would have stoppped the thief, no1 will ever know.

M

Mr Jimi

i live in the western suburbs of melbourne. lock nuts and a shotgun are the go. even use 2 different type of lock nuts to get in their way. i also reccomend a cheap surveilance camera in your driveway pointed at your car. you can get them for around 50 bucks. as they say, you cant stop them taking your wheels if they really want them, but having a picture of the junkie taking them can help in getting them back, refer to the afore mentioned shotgun.

i condone shooting junkies who steal from hardworking people like us.... well actually i do.

O

ozute

LOL thanks Mr Jimi, I bought a set of lock nuts today when my new rims were put on.. Took her to the carpark for pics, and I'll post them tonight.

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
Mr Jimi has to do all that because he lives in St Albans.. I'm so sorry. It's definetly worth having lock nuts. Try having a different brand/style for each wheel, you'll have to carry a lot of keys, but it'll piss would be thieves off no end.

O

ozute

Hmmm now there's a thought! By that time, I would have the shotgun ready and the aim focused lol :D

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
spend half a mill on getting special sensors that detect the car being jacked up, from there the car will automaticly lift up said corner / half, scare the theif a little but he continues, once one nut gets touched bam a second system ejects the wheel and hub at once, if it doesnt atleast knock the theif out you could add tazer contacts in the rim the add that tickle.

yes that whole idea is whimsical but wouldnt it be fun?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
ozute said:
Howdy folks.. Just wondering what people thought of having lock nuts on your wheels. I've read peoples comments that cheaper ones can be easily stripped off with certain tools, but are they a deterrent at all and worth a couple of extra bucks?
Depends if $25 means anything 2 u compared to $1000- $5000 wheels, I got 2 sets on the SS mate and im sure there easy to get off but they slow em down. I would say the average thief would not have a clue but the pro if they want it and cant get it off they will take the whole car :(