Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

are the vy ss's fast?

kohan

kohan
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec s1 wagon 6cyl
yeh, i think she likes the v8, if she wanted a turbo shed get the xr6 turbo or a rexy but they just dont appeal to her like when she was a teenager she used to love rexys. but gets heaps more excited over the vy ss.

btw doesnt evo's have huge torque, meaning huge pulling power. i know xr6 turbo has huge torque

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
A VY SS was what I drove on my L's... To me, it was a beast - and absolutly stock standard... maybe thats because it was the first car i ever touched, maybe because i went from driving that for 2 and a half years to a 7 year old V6 :p

What I'm sayin is, theyre plenty fast enough stock standard, and theres always the mods like exhaust etc that'll give it that little bit more, but it is a weapon... and a freaking sexy one at that :p

As for getting a rexy... I drive a forester turbo which is the same engine as the wrx anyway, sure its got a bit of a kick to it, but notttthingg compared to the SS... theres no better choice in my books :thumbsup:

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
btw doesnt evo's have huge torque, meaning huge pulling power. i know xr6 turbo has huge torque

the evos are really torquey..torque is the most important thing to me, id rather high torque than kw power

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
the evos are really torquey..torque is the most important thing to me, id rather high torque than kw power

Power is just a function of torque and rpm. In many ways, they are one in the same. Torque is what you "feel" when you press the pedal, power is how long you can sustain that "feel" (how high you can rev), and therefore how much you can take advantage of gearing.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT

Oxygen is pretty handy too, if you didn't have that, you wouldn't be able to function and type **** on here

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
We wont get into the whole Power is a function of Torque story again thanks:p or a whole heap of people that don't understand the concept will post all about it again like that epic fail thread from late last year :)

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
I would think of the VY SS as a great car with it's potential stopped by environmental factors.

If you get good exhaust, racing chip, cold air intake it will get the better out of it and those 5.7checys have so many extra performance parts to choose from and add on.

richierich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11SS
My last car was an evo 7 and I can tell you that thing shits all over the power and torque of my LS1..and mine has exhaust and extractors too.

Your ls1 must be sick.My brother inlaw has a evo9 and he hasnt beaten me yet.There was another evo9 i followed behind and i had to tap my brakes or i would have gone up he's backside.( ooopps oh yeh, mines also mafless):w00t:

Senator Slash

Slashman
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII HSV Signature Senator
Ive found this thread interesting for a few reasons.

I owned a 300rwkw 300zx before my LS1 and for a long time I loved blitzing the 8's where the driver seemed to think because it said "v8" on the badge it meant it would be the fastest thing on earth. I basically needed a sporty family sized car and ive always wanted to own an 8 so here I am.

My brother owned a cast iron VS 5ltr v8 which was extensively worked, it did 160km/h maxed out had everything bar blower or turb done. I likened it to a vx SS 250kw.

I now own a Senator VY and im struggling with the low power but as people have said its relative to what you are used to.

Mods wise from what I have gleaned, the best $$$ vs bang mods are improve intake through OTR or double hole mod or open airbox and pod with a mafless tune. Next is a cam and change the diff ratios to give you the fast feel by the seat of the pants-o-meter.

These are the mods I will be doing to mine funds permitting, and then I will be happy with its power output which should raise to close to the 300rwkw im used to.

I also drew the line with the interior type, I didnt want to get a round interior commy as I felt it would date too quickly I wanted a square interior one as there is only the new VE interior, but if I got a round interior id be 2 generations old already for resaleability.

I dont like the VZ SS look with the bonnet bump lines, but hey this isnt an opinions on my likes dislikes car thread.

I recon the VY SS is a good buy if funds wont permit getting an entry model VE. Even better if you can get the Senator or GTS they are loaded with alot of stuff the SS and even the baseline clubby isnt.

Another option is to look for the late 2004 LS2 VY that would be better than a 5.7 to start with for sure.

My sister has the VE Omega v6 and it is very pokey for a 6. I can only imagine what it would go like with some mods. It feels like a cast iron 5ltr in stock form.

Sounds like you are on the right track.