Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Well guys I'll be bowing out from the VF forum as I sold my VF over the weekend. I've been reading though the last few pages before posting this, hence quoting Ginger Beer in relation to selling up now.

I decided to sell for various reasons, but a couple that I'll mention here were that I wanted to test the water during this over inflated period to see if it would sell (not the main reason). Given the amount of media attention second hand cars have had of late, and in particular seeing the "advertised price" of VF's, it seems if you put a fair price on a car it will sell, as did mine. I bought it 2nd hand 5 and a half years ago, looked after it, added a few things along the way, and sold it for substantially more than I paid for it, crazy when you think a car 6 years old should have sold for half of what I got.

Another being that at 90 000km, the repairs outside of normal servicing were rearing their ugly head. I absolutely loved the car, and loved driving it, but the repairs were starting to irritate me, and I knew with it being a Holden, there would be more pain to come. There were also the other factors involved (ask my accountant.... Grrrr) which I won't go into. Plus the fact that it was an SSV, not a Redline. I think the Redlines and the Motorsport versions will continue to fetch premium prices for a while, but SS or SSV............ maybe.

I think I read someone say that young guys are not interested in these cars, well that's exactly the type of guy who bought it. So there are still young guys out there who are into these "dinosaurs". He came with his dad and brother, knew a lot about the VF's, so I know it will be looked after and that it's going to a good home, which eases the pain of seeing it go somewhat. I've ordered a replacement for it already after lots of research (2021 Mazda 6 GT SP Turbo, not exactly neck snapping, but a nice car), but will be keeping my eye on the 2nd hand market to see if it falls over in the next 5 years, to look at buying something like a VS/VR/VY V8 if prices return to "normal". I agree with Ginger Beer and others here, a lot less tech in those to go wrong, and hey, nothing will drive as well as a VF, but one of those would still be fun to tinker with.

In addition to that, and I think someone mentioned it, I want to see what the Australian Government will be doing over the next 5 years to see if they start treating cars with the internal combustion engine any differently, and in particular V8's, with all the talk of EV's, countries banning new internal combustion engine cars etc, who knows what will happen here with taxing petrol fueled cars.

I wasn't a huge contributor here, but want to thank all of you who replied to my questions/posts and helped me out. It's a great community, and I'll probably still drop on by to see what's happening occasionally.

Adios,

Jono

Sedan or wagon?

Colour?

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
The VF? Sedan in Some like it Hot Red.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
Sorry, my bad. Contemplated the wagon, but got the sedan in black. First thing I'll be doing is getting it lowered, they sit so blo$#y high.

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
I'm 16 and very interested in commodores but from my experience only a few kids my age I know like them, sad really.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'm 16 and very interested in commodores but from my experience only a few kids my age I know like them, sad really.

hardly surprising, your parents abandoned GM and GM themselves did little to appeal to young people.

a good study in how to lose a market.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
hardly surprising, your parents abandoned GM and GM themselves did little to appeal to young people.
I think GM abandoned buyers before buyers abandoned GM ... people were wanting+buying gerlytrux and the offering was Craptiva!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I think GM abandoned buyers before buyers abandoned GM ... people were wanting+buying gerlytrux and the offering was Craptiva!

bit of both really, GM got complacent.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's a bit difficult to blame buyers for not spending 5-digit amounts of money on products they don't want, though.

Unless of course the thing they do want is an SUV, then they need a swift kick in the very-small penis (note that I am asserting any human operating an SUV has a very small penis regardless of alleged gender).

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
We have a vt which is mine and dads vy both great cars but as said previously some of the newer Holdens weren't so great.

Reactions: Lex