Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are yellow led's ilegal for road use?

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
what are you on?

why would they be yellow? 5 times in the auction the word "amber" appears, the word "yellow" doesn't appear once!

btw, I've bought LEDs for my car off ebay before, and had 10 or so blow within 6 months!!!

I no longer have parker lights, and no longer have dash lights! :p haha!

I normally go by the pic aswell. (error or false advertising)

I recieved an answer back from the seller.

Quote: My apologies - wrong pic - they are actually amber in colour

BTW... learn to read. in the pic it says "Yellow"
edit: it did until the seller changed the pic:)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yeah I think the older commies are clear. VT onward have the standard globes with an orange coating.

I want the led globes so I wont have to replace them...
Neally every standard globe on the car blew last winter

You may be a little disappointed if you think that the leds will last a long time. LEDs are very tolerant to voltage fluctuations, much more so than a standard bulb. If the bulb is a cheap design they wont last anywhere near as long as a standard bulb. You will probably find that individual LEDs will start to die too. Take important note of what TheyDontWantMusic said, it doesnt surprise me at all. If a standard bulb isnt lasting you may have a problem. I would expect a standard bulb to last over 5 years, mine have. I would even think that there are VRs out there that still have their original indicator globes. Sounds strange that the globes would all start blowing - how cold was this winter?

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
You may be a little disappointed if you think that the leds will last a long time. LEDs are very tolerant to voltage fluctuations, much more so than a standard bulb. If the bulb is a cheap design they wont last anywhere near as long as a standard bulb. You will probably find that individual LEDs will start to die too. Take important note of what TheyDontWantMusic said, it doesnt surprise me at all. If a standard bulb isnt lasting you may have a problem. I would expect a standard bulb to last over 5 years, mine have. I would even think that there are VRs out there that still have their original indicator globes. Sounds strange that the globes would all start blowing - how cold was this winter?

The standard globes blew due to extreme temperature change.
Where I live it gets down to -18 degrees (snowing ofcourse) and only the LED's will last through the winter cous they dont get hot like normal globes.
The battery also freezes in winter.
I can put a thermo box round the battery but not the lights.
LED's in my case will last longer

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Dont get the Jaycar led globes. They are crap, not very bright, and will fall apart after a week or 2.

the_random_hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Toyota?
You can get some awesome LED's from eBay, the ones I get are half the price, twice as bright and better quality than the ones from Autobarn/Jaycar, etc.