Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are ZB 2 litre Petrol Turbo's reliable ??? Any common problems to look out for ?

NB66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG. The Silver Beast.
Are ZB 2 litre Petrol Turbo's reliable ??? Any common problems to look out for ?

I'm looking at buying a used ZB 2 litre petrol turbo. Looking online the 9 speedo auto seems like it might be trouble. Any other 'problems' to look out for ?

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG

I'm looking at buying a used ZB 2 litre petrol turbo. Looking online the 9 speedo auto seems like it might be trouble. Any other 'problems' to look out for ?
The 9-speed can barely cope with the LGX (3.6 litre) engine, the diesel had to get an 8-speed to handle the higher torque. The 2-litre engine has less power. Does it still kill the tranny? I haven't heard of that.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

let's just say ...
I am getting rid of them (all 2.0 Turbo LTs) as soon as I can out of our fleet at work.
30 down (replaced by KIAs and Mitsubishi models, 2 this week!)... 7 to go

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega

Along with transmissions, diff issues seem to be common as well on the ZB Commodores... They provide great value for money, but when things go wrong, parts are very hard to come by and are expensive...

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Must be an Aussie thing to knock the ZB.

The Buick guys love the 2 litre turbo Buick both in AWD and FWD.

The guys I know personally with a 2 litre ZB love them and have had no major issues.

The engine is strong and at lower speeds is quicker than the V6.

There were some gearboxes with issues related to swarf inside the boxes from manufacturing, this would have been fixed during warranty. I'm not aware of gearbox issues otherwise.

Some AWD models have had leaks on the rear diff, but once again fixed under warranty. The 2 litre turbo ZB is only available in FWD so there is no rear diff.

Some OWT's I think around parts cost and availability. Expense and lack of availability hasn't been my experience so far. Certainly no worse than most other cars of the same vintage. YMMV

Would a Camry be more reliable? Quite possibly, but the same could also be said when comparing a Camry to a VE or VF.

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Must be an Aussie thing to knock the ZB.

The Buick guys love the 2 litre turbo Buick both in AWD and FWD.

The guys I know personally with a 2 litre ZB love them and have had no major issues.

The engine is strong and at lower speeds is quicker than the V6.

There were some gearboxes with issues related to swarf inside the boxes from manufacturing, this would have been fixed during warranty. I'm not aware of gearbox issues otherwise.

Some AWD models have had leaks on the rear diff, but once again fixed under warranty. The 2 litre turbo ZB is only available in FWD so there is no rear diff.

Some OWT's I think around parts cost and availability. Expense and lack of availability hasn't been my experience so far. Certainly no worse than most other cars of the same vintage. YMMV

Would a Camry be more reliable? Quite possibly, but the same could also be said when comparing a Camry to a VE or VF.
Smitty's comments on the VF as a fleet vehicle are compelling Collectively over 180 years of ownership with none of the 37 cars having done less than 200,000. One gearbox after 240,000 k's and one radiator that he puts down to perhaps not being repaired properly after an accident. I defy anyone to come up with any make of vehicle in the world that could match that reliability. He also has some unkind things to say about the ZB that they used after they got rid of their VF's.

I am quite happy with the vehicles I own. In the nearly 6 years I have owned the VE the strut towers needed replacing which seems to be a common fault with the VE and a small problem with the aircon. The VS ute after about 10 years has only now caused a problem and that is with the distributor. The VH is modified and therefore has had quite a bit of money spent on it in the 25 years I have owned it though I seem to have a knack of finding people who do crap work.

Each of them serve a purpose. The VE if we ever go anywhere. The ute has been super useful either on the occasion we need to cart stuff around and also keep the k's down on the VE. The VH is just a toy though it is the one I prefer to drive.

I have toyed with the idea of getting rid of the VE and buying something like an Audi S3. I'm sure it would be a fun car to drive but I could not afford to run one. An example is a waterpump that they seem prone to go through. Replacement cost is over $800. As the mechanic said to me the other day when I asked him about Audi's. Good car to have if you are rich. I don't need that sort of crap at my age.

Last edited:

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Smitty's comments on the VF as a fleet vehicle are compelling Collectively over 180 years of ownership with none of the 37 cars having done less than 200,000. One gearbox after 240,000 k's and one radiator that he puts down to perhaps not being repaired properly after an accident. I defy anyone to come up with any make of vehicle in the world that could match that reliability. He also has some unkind things to say about the VB that they used after they got rid of their VF's.

I am quite happy with the vehicles I own. In the nearly 6 years I have owned the VE the strut towers needed replacing which seems to be a common fault with the VE and a small problem with the aircon. The VS ute after about 10 years has only now caused a problem and that is with the distributor. The VH is modified and therefore has had quite a bit of money spent on it in the 25 years I have owned it though I seem to have a knack of finding people who do crap work.

Each of them serve a purpose. The VE if we ever go anywhere. The ute has been super useful either on the occasion we need to cart stuff around and also keep the k's down on the VE. The VH is just a toy though it is the one I prefer to drive.

I have toyed with the idea of getting rid of the VE and buying something like an Audi S3. I'm sure it would be a fun car to drive but I could not afford to run one. An example is a waterpump that they seem prone to go through. Replacement cost is over $800. As the mechanic said to me the other day when I asked him about Audi's. Good car to have if you are rich. I don't need that sort of crap at my age.
Unfortunately, there is a “Euro tax” (high and expensive maintanence costs) that comes along with a lot of modern European cars. Great when running fine, but not so great for the wallet come maintanence or part replacement time. Not to mention that unlike a Commodore or Falcon, there is very little you can fix yourself, let alone basic maintanence, in your garage.
I have been considering to purchase a Golf R lately, but have been put off by this.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I find it interesting that other than Smitty and myself none of the other responders to the initial post have owned a ZB.

While the ZB was manufactured in Germany it is made up from the GM parts box. It is very different beast from most European cars. The LGX 3.6 V6 engine (a development of the LFX in the VE/VF) is made in the US, as is the LTG 2.0 turbo4 and the 9 speed transmission. The chassis platform was developed by GM North America, Opel and Saab.

The LTG turbo 4 engine is fitted to the likes of the Chev Camaro, Impala, Malibu, Traverse, Terrain, Equinox, Cadillac CTS and ATS, Buick Regal. It has a good reputation in the US. The LFX V6 engine is fitted to a just as wide a range of vehicles

I have had Commodores right the way through from the original VB SL, then VC SL , VL Calais, VY S, and now the ZB. My wife has a VE Z series S. They have all been good cars. Without a doubt the ZB is the best equipped and best driving handling Commodore of the them all. So far it's reliability at over 90,000 km is as good as the other Commodores I have owned.

For some reason the ZB attracts a lot of knockers in Australia. A bit like the VB when it was released back in 1979. The reactions on the Buick Regal owners site to the Buick Regal, the US variant of the ZB, are like chalk and cheese to the reactions I see on here.

One other thing that is startlingly obvious is the number of ZB's on the road in Australia compared to New Zealand. I regularly travel to Australia and the ratio of ZB's I see in Australia is probably greater than a 20 to 1 less than are on New Zealand roads. The VE/VF was the top selling large car in New Zealand and the ZB continued that tradition, I rather doubt the same happened in Australia.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
You might well be correct in saying apart from Smitty and yourself no other responders have driven a ZB. Smitty's view of the ZB is in sharp contrast to yours.

I just see that the introduction of the ZB was a just cynical attempt by GM to cash in on the Commodore name. That they failed would be the understatement of the year especially after closing Holden down in Australia. As Smitty says resale is down the toilet. The only saving grace seems to be that they can be picked up cheaply.

It has all been said before. No ute, no v8.

I bought my first Commodore (I still have it) in 1998. Since the I have owned two VS v8 utes (one got killed in action). A VT Clubsport and a VZ R8. VY2 SS ute and a VE SS ute and now the Redline. They all have been very reliable.

Every time I think of changing horses I look at the reliability of what I might buy and give myself a slap. Cars like the Camry leave me cold, they might be super reliable but they are so so bland.