Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are ZB 2 litre Petrol Turbo's reliable ??? Any common problems to look out for ?

NB66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG. The Silver Beast.
Along with transmissions, diff issues seem to be common as well on the ZB Commodores... They provide great value for money, but when things go wrong, parts are very hard to come by and are expensive...
Diff would only be in the 4wd V6 ? What's the problem with the auto's ? Poor shifting or do they fail totally ?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
What's the problem with the auto's ? Poor shifting or do they fail totally ?
They can fail totally and seem to be a common ZB issue on this forum...

Also, be wary that the Holden brand does not exist anymore and parts and servicing is an extreme hassle now days, especially if you're going to take it to the dealer...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
For some reason the ZB attracts a lot of knockers in Australia. A bit like the VB when it was released back in 1979. The reactions on the Buick Regal owners site to the Buick Regal, the US variant of the ZB, are like chalk and cheese to the reactions I see on here.
Understandable when the Commodore was known for having RWD and a V8 option for so long, only to have a FWD based platform with the Commodore nameplate slapped onto it... Holden should've called it the Insignia like they do in Europe... Great car with the wrong name...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Understandable when the Commodore was known for having RWD and a V8 option for so long, only to have a FWD based platform with the Commodore nameplate slapped onto it... Holden should've called it the Insignia like they do in Europe... Great car with the wrong name...
Nobody would have bought an Insignia either. But no doubt if Toyota sold it and called it a Camry they would sell thousands a week.
Half of Australia believe that Holden's are crap. The other half loves commodores. But when GM Holden shut and brought in the ZB they screwed over the half the country who actually liked them and so they had no customers left.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Diff would only be in the 4wd V6 ? What's the problem with the auto's ? Poor shifting or do they fail totally ?
Correct, the diff is only in the V6 AWD models.

I'm not aware of any specific problems with autos with the exception of the swarf problem. As far as I know they are as reliable as any other auto.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
You might well be correct in saying apart from Smitty and yourself no other responders have driven a ZB. Smitty's view of the ZB is in sharp contrast to yours.

I just see that the introduction of the ZB was a just cynical attempt by GM to cash in on the Commodore name. That they failed would be the understatement of the year especially after closing Holden down in Australia. As Smitty says resale is down the toilet. The only saving grace seems to be that they can be picked up cheaply.

It has all been said before. No ute, no v8.

I bought my first Commodore (I still have it) in 1998. Since the I have owned two VS v8 utes (one got killed in action). A VT Clubsport and a VZ R8. VY2 SS ute and a VE SS ute and now the Redline. They all have been very reliable.

Every time I think of changing horses I look at the reliability of what I might buy and give myself a slap. Cars like the Camry leave me cold, they might be super reliable but they are so so bland.
From about 2012 the relacement for the VF was always gong to be the ZB. The only thing not decided was where it would be built, Australia or overseas. The removal of government incentives was a big factor in the final decision.

The only reason there is a V6 in the ZB was because Holden insisted on a V6. If they though they could have got agreement for a V8 I very much think they might have insisted on a V8 as well.

Remember there was no ute when the Commodore hit the streets back in 79.

You might also remember the V8 nearly went the way of the Dodo back in the mid 1990's. Remember the "V8's till 98" slogan? Sadly it was only a matter of time before the V8 was phased out.

Agree whole heartedly re the Camry and similar being totally bland. Right now I don't know what car I'd buy if I were in the market. Probably a low km second hand Commodore.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Nobody would have bought an Insignia either. But no doubt if Toyota sold it and called it a Camry they would sell thousands a week.
Half of Australia believe that Holden's are crap. The other half loves commodores. But when GM Holden shut and brought in the ZB they screwed over the half the country who actually liked them and so they had no customers left.
It might of done better as the "Insignia" nameplate wouldn't have alienated existing new buyers and existing Commodore lovers (the would've gone elsewhere regardless)

However, Holden's reputation was already terrible (as you said), thanks to terrible products (excluding Commodore) and aftersales support, as well as the multitude of recalls, which didn't look very good for the brand...

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
From about 2012 the relacement for the VF was always gong to be the ZB. The only thing not decided was where it would be built, Australia or overseas. The removal of government incentives was a big factor in the final decision.

The only reason there is a V6 in the ZB was because Holden insisted on a V6. If they though they could have got agreement for a V8 I very much think they might have insisted on a V8 as well.

You might also remember the V8 nearly went the way of the Dodo back in the mid 1990's. Remember the "V8's till 98" slogan? Sadly it was only a matter of time before the V8 was phased out.

Agree whole heartedly re the Camry and similar being totally bland. Right now I don't know what car I'd buy if I were in the market. Probably a low km second hand Commodore.
In reverse. I was a union organiser in Hamilton for 1985-1990. In 1986 the 1.8 litre Toyota I was given was traded in on a Toyota 2.0 Corona Amon. It was a beautiful little car that handled like a dream. In those days radar detectors were legal and I took full advantage of that. Hamilton to Gisborne in 3 hours 20 minutes. I would own one or something similar any time.

I do remember the v8 til 98 slogan that was organised thanks to Street Machine magazine. As for the v8's demise being inevitable I am not so sure. I still think there is a place for a v8 in Australia anyway.

There was no Commodore ute in 79, not sure if the HZ was stiil going then. The WB went from 1980-1984. No Commodore ute until 1990. Certainly was a big mistake not to have one.

i was unaware that the ZB was planned back in 2012. I imagine it was of the GM influence to have a global car. It's a pity GM didn't make a better job of promoting the Commodore world wide especially in the US. That could have saved the Australian car industry, Holden anyway.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8

Calling it an Insignia may have helped. No RWD, they should have just canned the Commodore badge.

No Commodore ute, still had WB's till '84 then Ford had it all their on way until the VG